Rainbow Jumped Right Out Of Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jamepsss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Lifted the flap to feed my fish before when one of my dwarf neon rainbows flung himself right out of the tank. He landed in the small gap between the tank and the wall so was really difficult to rescue him. I reckon it was at least two minutes before I managed to get him back in the water.

He seems to be doing ok, swimming around. Obviously looking a bit stressed and feeling sorry for himself. Just wondering what you think his chances of coming through this are considering the size of the drop and length of time out of the water?

Wow! I had a large Catfish that jumped out of my tank and hit the floor with some force once, heard it downstairs then went up and rescued him and he survived so you may be in luck.

Was in my LFS once too in the summer and the Koi were trying to swim up the stream of water coming out the filter outlet. The tank was the end of a row of tanks containing Koi and the filter outlet was angled from the outer edge of the tank to the middle. This resulted in around eight Koi about 10 inches long jumping clean out of their tank lol, I watched, caught one and rescued 3 from the floor but while I was looking round the trops another 6 or 7 jumped too till the re angled the filter outlet.

He should be just fine unless he was hurt with the fall.
You got him pretty quickly.

Today my sivler gourami jumped out of the bowl I was temperarily keeping him in while I cleaned the tank.
I was downstairs when it happened, and neither my mom nor I noticed until I walked in and noticed I was missing a gourami. I look on the floor and surely, there he is, 4 feet away from the bowl, laying on the floor. I thought for sure he was dead. He was dry so I figure be must have been there for a good 5 minutes or so. But just in case, I placed him back in the water and as if he never jumped out, he was swimming all around instantly.
He's fine now. :) I guess because he's a bigger fish? o;

But I had another fish jump out of the bowl once, I got to him right away but it was a 5 feet drop and I'm pretty sure he punctured something during the fall. He didn't survive. :(

But anyways, if he's swimming around and everything, he should be just dandy.

Yeah I'm going to keep a close eye on him. His colours returned to something like how they should be last night so hopefully he's on the mend.

Suprised this hasn't happened before with my rainbows because they really attack the food when it goes in. I've been splashed a few times but this guy jumped out before I even dropped any food in. He landed in the most awkward place possible and wriggled out of my hand a couple of times too. :crazy:

Aparrently Rainbows are renowned jumpers as I've learnt the hard way. I've lost 2 dwarf neons this way whilst doing a water change. One I couldn't find until it was too late and the other was unfortunately found by one of my dogs first. I've even read of people who keep them in fish rooms finding them in different tanks almost 8 feet away!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back