Rainbow Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Michelleuk

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting 6 bosami rainbow fish. After reading some information on the web. I was going to get 3 males and 3 females.

But, am worried that I would get loads of babies? I dont want to overcrown my tank.

So do rainbow fish breed easily?

Would I be ok with six males?

Any information on rainbows would help as I can't find much in this forum. Why is that?

It seems that they aren't likely to spawn if you don't have moss or other suitable "nesting" areas for them. If you look up "Boesemani Breeding" and avoid some of the setups they mention, I don't think they will spawn. I may be wrong though, so hopefully someone with a better idea will say something as well. If they do happen to lay eggs, the females will often eat them so if you do not remove them it's possible they won't last very long.

Boesemani Rainbowfish will breed quite easily when given the right optimal conditions, but I don't think you'll have any problems with having babies since they are egglayers and usually eat the eggs right up after spawning on plants or something, but there's a small chance some eggs could somehow become unnoticed, hatch, and become free-swimming, but then the parents might gobble up the baby anyway if there isn't much hiding places, so eh, you have nothing to worry about. 6 sounds perfect with 3 males, 3 females. That should be fine. More males would be better though for more fierce color competition from males haha.

Have a good one.

-William

It is unlikely rainbowfish will spawn unless you specifically set up optimal conditions for them. I always keep males only, as there is no aggression and they display to each other so you get much more colourful fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back