Rainbow Crabs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm fairly sure that rainbow crabs(Cardisoma armatum) are terrestrial, and should be in a humid, warm terrarium with a dish of water or a paludarium that is mostly land. They will drown if you attempt to keep them in an aquarium or will escape the tank attempting to exit the water.

Because of this, it is difficult to keep them with fish unless you set up a large paludarium and it's a possibility that they can eat the fish.

This page has some pictures of what a habitat for them would look like. I would try to have the water deep enough to filter it as these guys are sensitive to ammonia and such.

i was thinking of creating a rainbow crab set up, but i was wondering how to go about it, and if there is anyfish ou'd reccomend that could go with him

well, even the deccor is in danger with a Rainbow crab in the tank. they don't even seem to be safe to keep together. as tyler says, they are land crabs, only needing water to wade in not swim. they are one of the few freshwater crabs you can buy for your tank. but to keep them any length of time, they need to be on their own and in a, fairly, large tank. they tend to be beautiful but, very, aggressive.

sorry i know this is old but im doing alot of research on rainbow crab at the moment in the hopes of buying one soon.
Alot of people say they are terrestrial but as long as they can get out of the water they enjoy it very much. as seen in this video (http://wn.com/Rainbow_Crab)

so from what ive seen in alot of videos, is they are alot like red claw and fiddler crabs, except they are much more capable of living above water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back