Rainbow Cichs Tearing Up Moss?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CrazyAirborne

Fish Herder
Reaction score
As the title states, I recently got some Rainbow Cichlids and every morning I wake up to find more moss floating or stuck on filter intake, seems like they see it swaying in the current and they rip it off the slate, and off the wood that it was tied down to.

does this seem to be something Im just going to have to live with? are they known to pick on the tiny plants? cuz there is another little one they like pulling on as well.

Thats just common Cichlid behaviour, and most likely something you'll have to live with. My female Jack loves nothing better than swimming at my Amazon Swords, biting on and tearing of down the other end of the tank, dragging the sword in tow.

Not alot you can do to stop it really, unless you figure out a favourite part/place they like doing it and see if you encourage it on that one piece. I often find mine leave anything above 2/3 of the way up the tank height. Usually they only attempt to tear things up that are low down, in and amongst caves and generally the way on the substrate :good:

I kept a group of five multispinosa with some Keyhole cichlids and the multispinosa got after micro sword like ducks on june bug.
If you can offer them some vegetable matter sufficient quanity,they may be less inclined to nibble plant's.
New Life spectrum pellet's,Frozen Emerald Entree,dried marine algae, worked for the group I kept.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back