Dwarfs

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Common name: Rainbow cichlid

Scientific name: Herotilapia mulltispinosa

Family: Cichlidae

Origin: Central America, near/in Nicaragua

Max size: 5"

Care: The minimum tank size should be a 20g long (30"L x 10"H x 12"W), at a temperature of 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit (24-27 degrees centigrade) My rainbows thrive in a neutral pH of 7.0. The tank should be well furnished with plenty of rocks and gravel for them to hide in, because without enough attention, they become timid fish (Further info later in article). These can be kept together but once a male and female pair off (chances are they will) those two will become aggressive to all other fish. They are notgenerally aggressive, but when kept with other cichlids they can get territorial (they wouldn't be a cichlid if they didn't).

Feeding: Not picky, will eat cichlid sticks, but try to keep their diet varied, they eat vegetable material.

Sexing: The male has a pointed anal and dorsal fin, the females don't and have larger stomachs.

Breeding:
They will breed almost as readily as convicts, get a male, get a female, set the temperature and you have eggs. They will la eggs on a flat surface (Rocks, slate, and flower pots have all been my rainbows choices) These guys are awesome parents, ans mine have never eaten their babies.

Comments: I currently have nine of these (Breeding pair, lone female, and 6 juviniles from a previous spawn) I have the juvies and the single female in my room, and they come out to interact with me (as much as a fish possily can), but the pair is in a separate room, and is quite skittish. So when you get them as active little juvies, try to keep them near where people are so they don't hide and or freak out when you try to clean the tank or move things around or in the tank. these are a great fish and will add plenty of personality to a tank.

This is the pair, male on right

Attachments

• Some_pictures_028.jpg
    Some_pictures_028.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 327
Just to add Rainbow Cichlids are quite unique because the have tricuspid teeth. there three teeth designed to help scrape algae from rocks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back