Radican swords as plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Negseven

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, what are the ideal conditions/food source for these plants, i have a couple of these in the tank and have noticed they are starting to discolour on the leaves, maybe starting to get small holes, my temp is 27’ I keep the lights on for about 8 hours on brightest setting, I have put root tabs in as well as a water feed every week….

Can you give us photos? And, a list of all fish species in this tank. Which substrate tabs? What is the GH of the water? I assume you do not use a liquid fertilizer, but if you do, which one?

Pictures of the plants?

They might have been grown out of water and are shedding their terrestrial leaves now they are in the aquarium.

Terrestrial leaves usually have a long stem that is rigid and the leaves remain standing upright when the plant is out of water.

Aquatic leaves are more flexible and flop down when the plant is out of water.

Most sword plants are fine in water with a temperature between 20-30C, and light can be on for 8-16 hours a day. However, the lighting time should be based on algae growth. If you get lots of algae growth, reduce the time.

Any reasonable brand of aquarium plant fertiliser should be fine. I used Sera Florena but there are plenty of other brands too.

13CF8525-CCFF-4CE1-BFF2-D91B1104EF9A.jpeg
38141DF3-DF54-4358-87AE-A1CC91E6B55C.jpeg
Here’s a few pics of plants, root tabs are by Easylife - rootstocks, water fertiliser is by Tropica - premium nutrition, don’t know GH of water (yet)

The dying outer leaves are most likely due to their being emersed growth as Colin explained. The tiny holes in one leaf, that is not the same cause. I asked what substrate tabs are you using?

They are by Easy-life, just called root sticks….

I've not seen or used these, but from what I can find on their website they may be OK. Doesn't list the specific nutrients though...I do not like secretive manufacturers, but give them a few weeks and see how the plants respond.

The dying outer leaves are most likely due to their being emersed growth as Colin explained. The tiny holes in one leaf, that is not the same cause. I asked what substrate tabs are you using?
When old plant leaves rot like that in my tank, they also have holes. could it be fish or snails taking a bite? or bacteria whittling away at it

For the OP, the sword plants in the pictures have been grown out of water. The short oval shaped leaves on the long stems will die off and should get replaced by new longer leaves with a very short stem or no stem (the leaves come out of the base of the plant just above the gravel).

-----------------------
When old plant leaves rot like that in my tank, they also have holes. could it be fish or snails taking a bite? or bacteria whittling away at it
Usually fish, shrimp or snails chewing holes in old leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back