Radical (but effective) cure for black algae

swee'pea

Reaction score
Just a thought, spinning off my recent battles with lighting...

For the last year and some I've been struggling to get on top of black algae, which really took hold in my tank after I broke my hip and couldn't clean properly for a month or two. I wasn't keen to use chemicals, and basically fell back on frequent water changes and hope, which kept it subdued, but never looked like eradicating it. Recently my lights failed, and one way or another it took me the better part of a month to sort it out. When the lights finally came back on, I was delighted to find that all traces of the algae seem to have disappeared. A fortnight on, still good.

I just mention it in case anyone else fancies trying a low-intervention/no-cost solution to the Black Algae Menace.

Cool idea! I will keep that in mind... Thanks!

Great technique, but those of us with planted tanks who are battling BBA can't really afford to cut the lights for a month without putting our plants at risk....

I’m thinking of using hydrogen peroxide on some decorations I have that are covered in BBA. Does anyone have experience with this method? Is it ok to just rinse well afterwards and return to tank?

Most reactions

trending

Back