R.i.p Trigger (my Oscar) And His 9 Tank Mates!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bubblej17

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
im totally gutted to have lost the most loving pet fish i've ever had, i never thought a fish could be that affectionate but my trigg was, he was only 2 years old comig up for three, but last week me and my partner took our little girl on her first camping trip for 4 days we fed all five fish tanks before we left and knew they would be fine without food until we got home, but when returning home after a fantastic hot weekend away we walked through our front door to a damp smell i said to my partner its probably because no windows had been open and its been so hot but we then opened the door to the living room and the smell of rotten fish hit us straight away i looked over at my tank and it was pure white/cloudy i couldnt believe my eyes ALL 10 of my fish had died while we were away so you can imagine the smell!! turns out my heater just decided enough was enough and blew up electricuting ALL of my poor helpless fish, i couldn't stop crying while fishing them all out into a carrier bag, most of them were so decomposed so it must of happened pretty much as soon as we left the house, i had trigger my oscar, 3 cory's, 3 guarmis, 1 angel, 1 catfish, and 1 plec, we buryied them all in the back garden together i'll miss them so much, thanks for reading i just wanted to share my story with you
DSC01302.jpg

my baby trigg, will be missed xx

I am so sorry to hear about your fish, you got me worried about going on holiday know :no: i bet you are totally gutted

I am so sorry to hear about your fish, you got me worried about going on holiday know :no: i bet you are totally gutted

totally gutted yeah, sorry dont mean to worry you, it's rare that this should happen, we knew all was going far to well for us to be happy with going away and returning without a hitch something had to go wrong somewhere just ashame it was my fish

dan thats a real bummer mate, my worst nightmare aswell!!!!!
ive just came back from colombia for 3weeks to find my filter in my breeding bristlenose tank had packed up, tank had 3weeks worth of poo from the pair and there fry :crazy: but to my surprisement there wasnt one death??strange eh!!!!

sorry for your loss bro

OMG that is awful!!! Every fishkeeper's worst nightmare, I should think. Gosh, it just makes you realise that anything can happen. Very scary stuff. I know for sure I'd be in tears myself if it happened in any of my tanks.

Oh what a terrible thing to come home to. Hope your daughter wasn't too distraught over seeing such a pitiful sight.

Any idea what caused the heater to malfunction? Was there a crack in the glass perhaps? I've heard that some large fish can cause the heater to crack by hitting themselves against it. I've got a couple of pink convicts and the male has a habit of getting my attention by slapping himself against the thermometer (not the thermostat) to make a tapping noise, usually when he wants feeding, and I keep thinking that one of these days he's going to break it!

Anyway, I hope it hasn't put you off of keeping fish - I'm sure, like you say, it is a rare thing to happen.

With sympathy - Athena :-(

thanks for all your replies, my daughter keeps asking to feed trigg but we have to tell her he's gone to fishy heaven bless she's only 2 and doesn't know what it all means, as for what caused it we have no idea, bless him

have you checked the heater glass?

did you have a heater protector to gaurd from the oscar?
when i first got my tank<second hand> the heater was cracked and i didnt realise it,every time i put my hand in tank it shuddered,hehe,
but as oscars like to play/wrestle with heaters that could well be the prob :good:

That is some terrible loss. Sorry mate, I would be distraught.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back