R.i.p Fabio

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmyStroodle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My fighting fish I've had for about a week died today. :[
Tested the water everything is perfect.
I think he got stuck in one of the decorations and panicked himself to death. :'[

z.jpg

It's not uncommon for fish to get stuck in plastic plants and die. I suggest removing the plant that caused it and getting some real plants.

I'm so, so sorry for your loss! 
rip.gif

I'd definitely throw out the decoration.

The murdering decoration shall be removed and operated on. I intended at a later date to take out the plastic plants and put real ones through them but didn't see any harm in waiting until I had a bit mroe money. D:

I was wrong. Lesson learnt. :|

Poor Fabio D: He was so pretty!

If it was a betta he might have drowned. I know that sounds funny, but they can. Also, bettas shouldn't have plastic plants, they rip fins. I would do either real plants or silk ones.

:RIP: Sorry for your loss

Going to sort out my tank tonight. Rearrange it; taken the plastic planty decoration out.

It is extremely unusual for fish to die like this. It would indicate to me that something else was going on.

Amy, have you been testing the water, for both ammonia and nitrite, every day? What were the actual numbers from your more recent tests? How big and how large have your water changes been? What's the highest level the ammonia and nitrite have reached?

fluttermoth said:
It is extremely unusual for fish to die like this. It would indicate to me that something else was going on.

Amy, have you been testing the water, for both ammonia and nitrite, every day? What were the actual numbers from your more recent tests? How big and how large have your water changes been? What's the highest level the ammonia and nitrite have reached?

Tested every other day (I'll tell you the exact levels when I get in but they were all the lowest), haven't done a water change yet (Was planning on doing a 25% water change at the weekend), only the nitrite level has ever moved and it only moved 1 up. (went back to normal within 12 hours)

The fish was wedged into this decoration, it took a fair bit of force to push out (to say its a fish in flimy plastic. If it had died due to water I don't see how it would have managed to get stuck in there like that. =/

1ppm of nitrite would be lethal :/

Fish often wedge themselves in odd places as they're trying to 'escape' the poor water/toxins.

fluttermoth said:
1ppm of nitrite would be lethal
confused.gif

Fish often wedge themselves in odd places as they're trying to 'escape' the poor water/toxins.

It was 0.25 if that and only for half a day. That was the day I got the fish.

Fish lived happily for 7 days before it died and the water never changed from all 0's.

Okay; it's not that I'm disbelieving you, it's just as, I said, it is very unusual for a fish to die in that way.

It's always worth going through all the possibilities, just in case there's something you've missed (we all miss the obvious sometimes!).

Oh I wasn't getting snappy with you or anything. :]
I'm new to this and it's frustrating every things dying when the water seems to be fine all the time. :[

Lost £20 worth of fish/plants now. =/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back