Quiet HOB with adjustable flow for a betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alli789

Reaction score
I have an aqueon quietflow that came with my tank and despite stuffing it with tons of sponge to try to slow the flow, it doesn't seem to do much except cause the water to leak out from around the sponges. I've been looking at reviews for so many HOBs to replace it with and I'm just unsure, so I thought I'd ask. I have a 10 gallon tank. And yes, I'd like to stick with a HOB because I have cycled filter media for one.

Must haves:
Not loud (my tank is in my bedroom. A little trickling noise is ok but other sounds can keep me awake.)
Adjustable flow that goes slow enough for a betta to be comfortable (I'm wondering if the Aquaclears adjust enough for a betta? It's hard to tell from videos.)

Would like to have:
Self restarting in case of power outage (pump inside aquarium)

My daughter has a tank in her bedroom so I have to have a QUIET filter on it. I went with the Aqueon QuietFlow initially because of the name and have to say it is the most inaccurately named product ever.

I have found the Marina slim to be the best and most quiet filter I have used. It's a HOB very low profile. I think it comes in 10, 15 and 20 capacity. There is lots of room for filter media and I swear this thing is so quiet I sometimes can't tell that it's on. It has no motor noise and no noise from the waterfall splash (unless your water level is very very low).

The first one I got came with a Marina tank kit. When I upgraded tank size I got the new one from Chewy. I don't see the brand in many stores so you might have to get it online if you want to try it. I think Amazon also carries it.

The Marina slim does have adjustable flow and you can really crank it down so there is very little current in the water. It's got a super gentle flow even when I crank mine all the way open.

And bonus points for NOT needing to be primed if the power goes out. It has water in the reservoir (or whatever that area is called) and starts back up on its own with no problem. It also is one of the few filters I've bought that comes with a pre-filter sponge so if you have small fish or not strong swimmers they have no risk of getting sucked up or stuck to the filter intake tube in the tank.

I have been very pleased with this filter overall. Highly recommend.

Link to it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032G8TPW/?tag=ff0d01-20

A second option (and others can weigh in here) would be to get a nano sponge filter in the tank. If you put an airstone in it you won't hear the bubbles at all. You can adjust the flow. Downside is you can't add other media like you would with a HOB filter. But just throwing it out there as another possible option. I believe some people run tanks just with sponge filters.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back