Quiet 1 One Pump, Aint That Quiet

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sea Turtle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first pump that I have purchased for my reef tank is the Quiet 1 One 4000 this pumps about 1010gph. For some reason it is not very quiet. I think that there might be something wrong with it. As far as the actual pump, it is quiet. However, it makes a noise almost like when you put a playing card on the spokes of your bike when you were a kid. It is like a faint ticking that is very annoying. Has anyone had this problem with this pump? Are these generally good pumps or do I have a piece of junk? I thought that I was getting a good pump when I purchased it. Also, if I take it apart, clean it out and reassemble it, it goes away but then come back in a few days.

Thanks.

They're generally good pumps, I hear good things about the newer models especially. A few years back they were notorious for being less than quiet, but they should never rattle like you're describing. That sound means that your impeller (or the magnet) is imbalanced or its shaft is damaged and so it does not rotate in a perfect circle inside the motor housing. Then any number of parts of the assembly are hitting the case, making the rattling noise. A few things can cause this problem. First, check your impeller shaft. If its stainless steel and perfectly straight, you're probably OK. Often times though they are made of carbon fiber and break somewhere in the middle near the magnet...

If that checks out OK, consider how your return pump is plumbed. Do you use an inlet strainer? If not, it's very possible you are getting particles of detritus, sand, bits of algae, etc jammed in there causing an imbalance and the rattling noise.

Lastly, when you take it out to clean it, is the magnet encased in calcium carbonate? If so, that can also cause an imbalance.

I think that you may have hit the nail on the head. I might be getting particles of sand jammed in there causing an imbalance which might be causing the rattling noise. I Do not use an inlet strainer though. Should this be something that I should add on to it. I really don't want it to restrict the flow of the pump though.

Well, its use an inlet strainer and lower your flow a bit, or risk killing the pump prematurely...

I looked into these inlet strainers a bit. It really doesn't look like I can find one specific to my model. Are they generally universal?

Usually yes. Often times one sold for say a mag 5 or something can work great on most inlets

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back