Quick Shrimp Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GAB99

Jack Of All Trades
Reaction score
Ok so I'm planning to have a small shrimp community for my 55 planted tank and I was wondering if the Green (babaulti) , crystal , or yelllow/orange shrimps would breed/hybridize amongst themselves and make less than colorful children, and if so would the offspring be fertile as I'd prefer if the strains are kept seperate .

Ok so I'm planning to have a small shrimp community for my 55 planted tank and I was wondering if the Green (babaulti) , crystal , or yelllow/orange shrimps would breed/hybridize amongst themselves and make less than colorful children, and if so would the offspring be fertile as I'd prefer if the strains are kept seperate .

Probably should be moved to the invert section but here goes. If you get any colour morph of say Caridina (crystal red, crystal black, snowball etc) these are all basically the same shrimp just bred to different patterns so they will all readily interbreed and they wont be hybrids. Almost any caridina has the potential to cross breed within the caridina species and I think that is where a lot of the new colours and fancy named man created shrimp are coming from. With cherry shrimp Neocaridina they can't breed with crystal shrimp, but any other colour morph of the common red cherry like the yellow, orange, green, blue will once again readily breed back to reds if all kept in the one tank, and yes the offspring will generally go backwards in colour. So basically when mixing shrimp if you want to keep desired colours pure only have say one type of caridina, one colour morph of neocaridina and possibly one colour morph of another shrimp species this is of course assuming that all the shrimp you can get or want to own can all live in the same water paramters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back