Quick Questions About Re-Setting Up

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, after an outbreak of whitespot and all of my fish dead I emptied the tank, have new sand and clean rockwork. Now ATM the tank is just filled and salted and up to temp. Its been mixing a few days and now im ready to add the rock back and new sand and let it sit. Only thing is, can I attach the filter back right away? Am I going to need to feed the tank fish food to keep the filter alive while there is no fish in there.

The filter has been runing on another tank which just has snails and a few rocks in it for a few days.

Also Is there anything that could be housed in a 30 gallon (40"x12"x18") with 2 yellow tail damsels? 25KGs of rockwork and lots of flow.
If not, what other fish would be good to add when the tank is ready. 1 or 2 active small fish im looking for.

The Ich parasite referred to as Tomites when in the free swimming stage can only survive 1-2 days before they must find another fish host, if your tank has been left fallow for longer than this they the parasite will have gone, for more info look at http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ichparasiticdiseases/Marine_Ich_Diseases_Other_Fish_Parasites.htm

Oh thats cool. I have stripped the main tank down anyways. Can I put the filter back on to a tank with all fresh water? Am I going to have to add food to keep the filter going until I add fish?

Oh thats cool. I have stripped the main tank down anyways. Can I put the filter back on to a tank with all fresh water? Am I going to have to add food to keep the filter going until I add fish?
Put the filter on and add a source of ammonia, such as dead shrimp if their is sufficient bacteria you should see ammomia-nitrite-nitrate when testing water although make sure tank is fully cycled before adding fish and feed the filter until you add fish. However you may want to consider cycling the tank with LR and forget the filter.If you have sump some chaeto will keep nitrates down. Don't forget to quarantine any new fish also probably wouldn't do any harm to put the snails in your newly cleaned tank, are you having FO FOWLR or full reef?

Well its a completely cycled filter, and now its on another holding tank so to speak, running with old tank water. Will it harm the filter to be running in completely new water. Basically a 100% waterchange. Im guessing the bacteria start to die off when there is no fish producing waste for it to break down.

I was going to put the sand and rockwork in the tank now, and then just hook the filter back up to the main tank and feed the tank a few flakes of food until I get fish.

oooh BTW will 2 bangii(sp) cardinals be OK in this tank? I was watching some in the pet shop and I really like the look of them.

Also I will be keeping the tank a FO as I only like the fish.

I guess it depends on how long there won't be anything in there for.

Bangaiis can be tricky. If you get 2 males they will fight until one dies. Juveniles MAY be ok while still young, it is also very difficult to sex juvenilles. If your LFS has some larger ones, it COULD be a little more do-able. (PS: Don't use the jaw shape/dorsal fin sexing method on these guys. It's completely inaccurate)

Well, providing the Amm, Nitrite and Nitrate levels are as expected I am hoping to get 1 or 2 fish in the tank within a week or 2.

I have put new crushed coral sand in and put the rocks back in, turned everything on and its running now.

Would a lone cadinalfish be OK?

I am going to get 1 or 2 fish soon. Could I get a lone cardinal? Or are the schooling fish?

If not, any suggestions for an interesting fish or 2?

Yes, if you're going with bangaiis, just get one. That way you're playing it safe. They do perfectly well alone.

Ahhh cool. Aslong as its going to be ok and not more timid alone. I think I will get one of those first.

Thanks for the help

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back