Quick Question Regarding Carbon Filter

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

alexpb22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Am currently treating my tank with meds and as per the instructions I have removed the Carbon Filter. On Monday I will finish the treatment and will need to put the carbon back into the filter.

My question is, is this safe to do so or will the Carbon still have any bacteria/disease that was present when I started the meds? The carbon has been out of the tank for a week now and has completely dried out, I don't know if this therefore means that any bacteria will now have died but could someone let me know whether I should be safe to go ahead or whether I will need to somehow sterilise it first?

Thanks

It may depend upon what the disease issue is/was.  Some can be transferred easily.  And sterilizing is risky, again depending what it was.

If this were me, I would discard the old carbon and use new.  In any event, the old carbon will likely have been somewhat if not completely exhausted and not be of much use anyway.

Byron.

Byron said:
It may depend upon what the disease issue is/was.  Some can be transferred easily.  And sterilizing is risky, again depending what it was.

If this were me, I would discard the old carbon and use new.  In any event, the old carbon will likely have been somewhat if not completely exhausted and not be of much use anyway.

Byron.
Thanks Byron, will do. Stupid me just realised that I had removed the foam as well as the carbon!!!

I always, at this point, question why you're using a carbon filter in the first place.

They have their uses, but a lot of the time you're better off just replacing them with more biofilter material.

Take the carbon out, hit it with a big stick and tell if to naff off and never darken your doors again. You can use it to remove old medications but then you can do that with a water change or two. Use the space created to add more foam filtration.

Carbon does has its place, from what I am reading.  It removes bad odor that water changes may or may not reduce.  it removes medication from the water when no longer needed.  It also help with water staining from drift wood...if needed.  So, yes...i would not use carbon all the time.  Only when needed.  My canister can use a biowheel or carbon.  I use the biowheel unless I need the carbon.  My tank is fairly new, and I haven't needed carbon.  I used it in the beginning, but when the carbon stopped being effective, I switched to the bio wheel and will continue to use it unless I need a round of carbon.

Just a few questions to clear things up a bit if I may.

It removes bad odor that water changes may or may not reduce
Shouldnt you be looking at the cause of the smell?

it removes medication from the water when no longer needed.
Dont water changes do this just as well if not better?, And you do not have to pull your filter appart to remove the carbon.

It also help with water staining from drift wood
Thats a valid point, But dont water changes also do this.

I prefer the tannins from driftwood Peat moss and Indian almond leaf in my 2 foot tank, All my fish are softwater lovers, Gourami, Rasboras and for now ghost knife.

As you can see I am a bit of a fan of water changes.The first thing I learned from this site and the great members. Lots of good clean  water can fix almost anything.

NickAu said:
Just a few questions to clear things up a bit if I may.

It removes bad odor that water changes may or may not reduce
Shouldnt you be looking at the cause of the smell?

it removes medication from the water when no longer needed.
Dont water changes do this just as well if not better?, And you do not have to pull your filter appart to remove the carbon.

It also help with water staining from drift wood
Thats a valid point, But dont water changes also do this.

I prefer the tannins from driftwood Peat moss and Indian almond leaf in my 2 foot tank, All my fish are softwater lovers, Gourami, Rasboras and for now ghost knife.

As you can see I am a bit of a fan of water changes.The first thing I learned from this site and the great members. Lots of good clean  water can fix almost anything.

I agree with you.  Water changes are best.  Just putting the info out there.  Carbon could be used if one is stuck in a drought zone, like California.  :)

The initial question had to do with replacing the carbon for a specific purpose, and I think we are all agreeing that it should be replaced in this specific case.  Subsequent posts have raised the issue of carbon generally, and I agree with the consensus on this too, that it really isn't necessary but will help for specific issues.

Carbon is a form of chemical filtration, as opposed to mechanical or biological.

Absolutely nothing in the way of filtration can replace regular partial water changes, or provide the benefits.  Those facing water shortages obviously have to consider this, as Chris wisely noted.  A very sad comment on the state of our world environment, when water is disappearing from many places, and the population increasing.

Byron.

The thing with water shortages is that a water change in a fish tank is not a waste of water. If one has water shortages then the waste water from a fish tank can subsitiute for a variety  of uses -- flushing the toilet, watering plants (additional fertilizer), even washing the car.

ShinySideUp said:
The thing with water shortages is that a water change in a fish tank is not a waste of water. If one has water shortages then the waste water from a fish tank can subsitiute for a variety  of uses -- flushing the toilet, watering plants (additional fertilizer), even washing the car.
Yes, but in California they look at how much water you pull from the water system.  So, the waste water is not considered.  I personally would collect water and use it.  But, some places in the US ban the water collection.

Still doesn't change the fact that waste water from a water change can be used for things that would otherwise have drawn water from the mains, cutting drains considerably. Mixtures of carbon, or purigen, excellent mechanical titration and things like anaerobic filters can drop back water consumption considerably though, I agree, but only if well maintained.

Carbon is not cheap if you can replace it every two weeks, as it can leach toxins back into the tank once saturated its bad.
One thing I keep it on hand especially if I accidently run out of dechlorinator and the carbon fillters out Chlorine and VOC's.
I does keep water very clean, its been said has its uses but no excuse just to leave tank water unchanged for longer periods! 

Vethian said:

Yes, but in California they look at how much water you pull from the water system.  So, the waste water is not considered.  I personally would collect water and use it.  But, some places in the US ban the water collection.

Why would they ban water collection? In my garden I have six water butts, to collect rainwater, that in total hold over 1000 litres, collecting water like this is actively encouraged here.

ShinySideUp said:

Why would they ban water collection? In my garden I have six water butts, to collect rainwater, that in total hold over 1000 litres, collecting water like this is actively encouraged here.

something about taking potential water from run offs and rivers.  they also claim its less safe to drink.  because water cached under the ground is magically better then water cached above ground.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back