Questions, Questions, Questions ...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

darrel69

Fishaholic
Reaction score
1) juwel internal built-in filters, anyone got one ? what are they like ? for some reason i dont seem to trust them ? i recently just purchased a tank with one in. i wish i could take it out but i dont wanna to mess about with it or damage owt. it does 600l/h btw... dosn't seem to have a very fast flow to it either.

2) is a juwel internal built in filter at 600l/h & a fluval 3plus internal filter enougth filteration for an over 3foot 190litre tank ? baring in mind it may get slightly over stocked.

3) if i were to buy an external filter, fluval 305 for example, would i need to purchase something to circulate the water aswell ? like a powerhead ?

4) ive only ever had experience with internal filters and they are what ive relied on to oxygenate my water, so if i were to replace the fluval internal with a fluval external, external's dont oxygenate do they ? id have to install an air pump ? is that right ???

5) ocean rock. is it a fairley heavy rock ? what about tuffa rock ? im looking for some rocks that arn't too heavy. any suggestions ? it dosn't nessesarely have to be mineral rock. id like to have ocean rock if its not too heavy beacuse i get concerned about the weight/pressure i put on the glass.

Thankyou for any answers/advise !! hope y'all have a great christmas :D

Hey dude, I'll try answer a few for you:

1) I've got a few jewel internals. Most people will agree when I say big, ugly, and utter useless (for the most part). Sure you can rip it out, alot of people do, and I'm doing it at the minute, I've just gotta wait till my externals mature a bit.

2) If I were you, get rid of the internals, and get a decent external or two. saves space, and are much better for filtration then most internals bar a few.

3) No you wouldn't need a powerhead really, the external should provide enough flow. Just to be clear, please don't get a fluval 305 ;)

4) If you use a spray bar with the external it'll oxygenate the water fine. Most, if not all externals come with them.

5) Ocean or tuffa rock can be pretty heavy, but it won't crack your tank. Just think how many people do it, I'm sure people would stop if it was known to crack tanks. Plus, rocks weigh less under water :) You could always use some egg crate to place them onto, instead of straight on the glass. I use lava rock in my tank and it's a very light rock actually. Some even floated before the air escaped from them! Give that a look up.

Hope that helps a little :good:

most people rip the juwel internal out.

1/2) it depends on the type of cichlid and the amount your going to stock with.

3)you could if you want, again it depends on what type of cichlid you get. if you go to my journel in my sig. you will see that i used and ugj system. it consists of jets (in my case 6) whitch blow water around the bottam of the tank. my fish like swimming into the jets. i think ive got a link in there to a proper write up.

4) oxygen. i dont have any airstones in the tank. i have 2 externals. i with a spray bar and one with a bend so it flow doen the back of the tank. the spray bar is just about under the waters surface. the one with the bend is also totaly under the water. so i dont think oxygen would be a problem but if you want you could add an air pump.

5) i dont think the rock weight will be a problem tbh. if you go look at members pictures there a some tank with alot of big weighty rock in.

hth
chris

Hey dude, I'll try answer a few for you:

1) I've got a few jewel internals. Most people will agree when I say big, ugly, and utter useless (for the most part). Sure you can rip it out, alot of people do, and I'm doing it at the minute, I've just gotta wait till my externals mature a bit.

ok, i think ill do the same and attempt to remove it lol.... btw, cant you put the media in your internal into your external instead of waiting for it to catch up ?

2) If I were you, get rid of the internals, and get a decent external or two. saves space, and are much better for filtration then most internals bar a few.

3) No you wouldn't need a powerhead really, the external should provide enough flow. Just to be clear, please don't get a fluval 305 ;)

4) If you use a spray bar with the external it'll oxygenate the water fine. Most, if not all externals come with them.

yea, ive just sold my old tank so ill put that money too for a descent external. you any suggestions ? why not a fluval 305 ? what about a Eheim or Tetratec ?

also, hows a spray bar work ? whats it look like and were does it fit? is it just a tube or something ?

5) Ocean or tuffa rock can be pretty heavy, but it won't crack your tank. Just think how many people do it, I'm sure people would stop if it was known to crack tanks. Plus, rocks weigh less under water :) You could always use some egg crate to place them onto, instead of straight on the glass. I use lava rock in my tank and it's a very light rock actually. Some even floated before the air escaped from them! Give that a look up.

Hope that helps a little :good:

yea i thought something simular. thanks

most people rip the juwel internal out.

1/2) it depends on the type of cichlid and the amount your going to stock with.

3)you could if you want, again it depends on what type of cichlid you get. if you go to my journel in my sig. you will see that i used and ugj system. it consists of jets (in my case 6) whitch blow water around the bottam of the tank. my fish like swimming into the jets. i think ive got a link in there to a proper write up.

4) oxygen. i dont have any airstones in the tank. i have 2 externals. i with a spray bar and one with a bend so it flow doen the back of the tank. the spray bar is just about under the waters surface. the one with the bend is also totaly under the water. so i dont think oxygen would be a problem but if you want you could add an air pump.

5) i dont think the rock weight will be a problem tbh. if you go look at members pictures there a some tank with alot of big weighty rock in.

hth
chris

ok, ive got a mixed malawi tank, and probs gunna heavily stock for aggresion issues. im ditching the internal and buying a descent external. any suggestions ? thanks

My Juwel rio240 filter rocks! cleans very well! , i think they look better then aveing a filter and heater on show! im also getting an external to help clean it with the amount ov fish going in there!
i will be running both at the same time! its also good as a backup if your external ever fails! just my pennyworth.

buy i also thort that same about too heavy rocks in my tank! and if your getting cichlids that dig defo get some egg crate!!! picse ov mind really!

best ov luck mate!

My Juwel rio240 filter rocks! cleans very well! , i think they look better then aveing a filter and heater on show! im also getting an external to help clean it with the amount ov fish going in there!
i will be running both at the same time! its also good as a backup if your external ever fails! just my pennyworth.

buy i also thort that same about too heavy rocks in my tank! and if your getting cichlids that dig defo get some egg crate!!! picse ov mind really!

best ov luck mate!

thanks, yea ive been advised to get some egg creats before. think ill give it ago. just not looking forward to taking everything out to put them ... :crazy:

also im wondering, what material egg crate ? like foam or plastic ? any ? and would flat slate stone need to be put on ? or is that ok with being flat ?

ok, ive got a mixed malawi tank, and probs gunna heavily stock for aggresion issues. im ditching the internal and buying a descent external. any suggestions ? thanks

thanks, yea ive been advised to get some egg creats before. think ill give it ago. just not looking forward to taking everything out to put them ... :crazy:

also im wondering, what material egg crate ? like foam or plastic ? any ? and would flat slate stone need to be put on ? or is that ok with being flat ?

good choose on dithcing the external.

on my 185litre tank ive got an eheim 2224 pro and an eheim ecco 2232. they do a great job. as for you im not sure i trust eheim so i only normally go for them however ive heard a lot of good things about the tetratecs. the tetratec ex1200 i believe filters about 200-500litres of water. i personaly (if you have space and a few extra £) would go for 2 tetratec EX700. this way you can clean 1 every 2 weeks (week 1 clean filter 1, 2 weeks later clean filter2,2 weeks later clean filter 1 and keep going over the process)

egg crate is a plastic grid. im an electrician over the last 3 years ive been working ive only seen it once (they use it alot in america as light diffusers) i bought some filter grid for pond filter and used that instead.

link

again personaly it made me feel better but im not sure if it helps much or not.

hope that makes sence

chris

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

you mean internal, lol ???

on my 185litre tank ive got an eheim 2224 pro and an eheim ecco 2232. they do a great job. as for you im not sure i trust eheim so i only normally go for them however ive heard a lot of good things about the tetratecs. the tetratec ex1200 i believe filters about 200-500litres of water. i personaly (if you have space and a few extra £) would go for 2 tetratec EX700. this way you can clean 1 every 2 weeks (week 1 clean filter 1, 2 weeks later clean filter2,2 weeks later clean filter 1 and keep going over the process)

yea, ive just ordered a Tetratec ex1200 earlier. i'll be installing that and ripping out (carefully, lol) the built-in internal. So ill have the ex1200 and a fluval3+ internal running, which ill be replacing that (fluval3+) with another external at a later date.

egg crate is a plastic grid. im an electrician over the last 3 years ive been working ive only seen it once (they use it alot in america as light diffusers) i bought some filter grid for pond filter and used that instead.

link

hope that makes sence

chris

thanks for the link.... i tried to look earlier but couldn't find any

[/quote]

[/quote]

you got fish n water in there already? if so i got the same problem im just going get a nother big tank set that one up with no fish or water then when its set up put the water from my other tank in ther new tank and the fish lol! then set that tank back up for more fish :D let us know how it goes

Maximus says dont get a Fluval 305

I WOULD AGREE Dont get a Fluval 305, i got one and its pants. i am using a fluval 3 plus at the same time. The inlet pipe isnt worth a sook, and the outlet pipe could'nt blow a feather, Well as far as my 305 goes anyway. i used to use a Eheim 2217 (retro :hyper: ) and that was 10 times better :good:

Zoe

I WOULD AGREE Dont get a Fluval 305, i got one and its pants. i am using a fluval 3 plus at the same time. The inlet pipe isnt worth a sook, and the outlet pipe could'nt blow a feather, Well as far as my 305 goes anyway. i used to use a Eheim 2217 (retro :hyper: ) and that was 10 times better :good:

Zoe
dont mean to hijack but what about the Fluval 304 external filter?? i just got one? anygood?

yea, ive just ordered a Tetratec ex1200 earlier. i'll be installing that and ripping out (carefully, lol) the built-in internal. So ill have the ex1200 and a fluval3+ internal running, which ill be replacing that (fluval3+) with another external at a later date.

link

hope that makes sence

chris

no problem glad to of help.

yes i did mean internal :rolleyes: lol

good luck
chris

you got fish n water in there already? if so i got the same problem im just going get a nother big tank set that one up with no fish or water then when its set up put the water from my other tank in ther new tank and the fish lol! then set that tank back up for more fish :D let us know how it goes

yes i have, i recently just done what your gunna do. i put everything in my old tank into a bigger one, but ive sold my old one. however, i didn't put any egg crate in my new one !! im not sure wether im doing it yet or not tho ???

Zoe

ok, ive heard some simular stuff actually about fluval's. well ive already ordered a Tetratec ex1200 which i should have soon. :)

link

hope that makes sence

chris

no problem glad to of help.

yes i did mean internal :rolleyes: lol

good luck
chris

ok, thanks

mate dont worry about egg crate its too hard to get hold ov! and i went to my local tropcail fish shop and looked in one ov the cichlids tanks they have rocks and stacks ov it just sat on the glass underneef! am going do the same thing now! they said its fine! let us know how it goes!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back