Questions Before Getting My First Betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lizzie07

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, everybody! I'm new here on this forum and to fishkeeping. I've been doing some research into betta fish and having been seriously considering getting one. I just want to be prepared and know some more before I go through with the process.

I have a 40 gallon tank (it measures 36L by 18W by 16.5H) that my hamster was in before I upgraded her, which my new betta would be in.

My first question is if there is is anything special that I should do considering that it was once lived in by a hamster? Any special cleaning products that I would need to use in order to disinfect or if I should go out and get a different tank completely?

Would it be better to have just the betta in the tank or is it recommend to have some other sort of fish, snail, etc. in with him/her?

The next couple of questions are more of personal preference:

What is a good good filter for a 40 gallon tank?

What is a good heater?

Anybody know of a good water testing kit?

Thank you to everybody who replies! I know I have a lot of questions, but I just want to learn more about fish keeping before I go out and get one.

First off that is a big tank for just one betta. But because of how bettas are you can only get one (you might could get two considering your size of tank). I would suggest getting a 10 or 5 gallon for your betta and using the 40g for other fish. With that size you could have a *school of fish* maybe like some neon tetras or guppies.

Note* A school of fish can range from 5-20 or more fish

I know but I've always liked the idea having a big tank for just a few amount of fish. I mean they would have millions of gallons in the wild so,  why not
smile.png

Ok, but I still wouldn't suggest going with a betta, you could basically get any live bearer or community fish. Maybe around 5-9 that would make a beautiful tank

That sounds resonable. I'll go do some research on community fish :)

You can still do the betta with other calm community fish. Just make sure you have the community fish in there first. Also make sure they look very different from the betta so he or she hopefully doesn't attack them. There is a possibility that it wont work because the betta is too aggressive, but you can always try it. :) 

Ok thx for the reply! I do know that it'll be a bit before I even get the fish as I haven't started cycling the tank yet. I should really get on that :p

Lizzie07 said:
Hi, everybody! I'm new here on this forum and to fishkeeping. I've been doing some research into betta fish and having been seriously considering getting one. I just want to be prepared and know some more before I go through with the process.

I have a 40 gallon tank (it measures 36L by 18W by 16.5H) that my hamster was in before I upgraded her, which my new betta would be in.

My first question is if there is is anything special that I should do considering that it was once lived in by a hamster? Any special cleaning products that I would need to use in order to disinfect or if I should go out and get a different tank completely?

Try vinegar and hot water.

Would it be better to have just the betta in the tank or is it recommend to have some other sort of fish, snail, etc. in with him/her?

This all depends on the betta. I've heard of a betta that freaked out in a large space, but heard the contrary with many other bettas. Usually, a sole betta is enough, as they are aggressive, but some fish are compatible.

The next couple of questions are more of personal preference:

What is a good good filter for a 40 gallon tank?
I love sponge filters...just my opinion.
What is a good heater?
I use ViaAqua, and they work great.
Anybody know of a good water testing kit?
API Liquid tests are my favorite.
Thank you to everybody who replies! I know I have a lot of questions, but I just want to learn more about fish keeping before I go out and get one.

cleaning - hot water and vinegar is good.  I have had better luck with cleaning vinegar.
fish - i would plant the tank with live plants. maybe a shoal of harlequin rasbora
filter - you do not want heavy flow for the betta.  a couple of sponge filters would be good.  you can make your own or buy them.
heater - i use aqueon heaters myself.
water testing - API master kit

I know but I've always liked the idea having a big tank for just a few amount of fish. I mean they would have millions of gallons in the wild so,  why not
I like your thinking, And your betta will be very happy in that tank. 

As for tank mates MAYBE 6 to 8 Rasboras, ( I have 6 Red Rasboras in a tank with my Gourami lovely peacefull little fish ) , Maybe even some shrimp ( I have around 30 cherry and 20 Ghost adult shrimp and who knows howmany young ) The betta may or may not eat them, In my tank the Gourami only eats the baby shrimp and with some 50 adult shrimp there is a never ending supply of baby shrimp. And lots and lots of live plants make sure you have some floating plants as bettas love sleeping on leaves.
With a Betta and a small school of Rasboras and maybe some shrimp a well cycled tank shouldnt hardly notice the bio load.
IMO Bettas and live bearers like guppies do not belong in the same tank as they prefer different water conditions.

I hate those 5 gallon Betta tanks, No matter how fancy one makes it look you try living in a bathroom and see how you like it.

PS.

Add the Rasboras and Shrimp to the tank first, Then a day or so latter add the Betta.

Small animal cages don't usually do well as aquariums. Most have been cleaned with some sort of ammonia based (or worse) cleaner. Those chemicals are absorbed by the silicone. When water is added, those chemicals leach back out into the water, raising ammonia or poisoning the fish. The ammonia can be very difficult to get rid of. If you think or know it hasn't been exposed to any cleaners their is still a chance that ammonia from the animal waste has gotten into the silicone. Fill the tank with water and let it sit for a number of days and test the water to see if any ammonia is present. If there is, it's probably best to not use it as a fish tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back