Questions About Setting Up New Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CamaroGurl

Reaction score
As some of you may have already read I'm going to be setting up a 55 gal (US) and was thinking of putting my Cockatoos in there. Well, my boyfriend and I've talked and we're putting a total of 8 Cockatoos (2 males and 3 females) in there along with 5 adult guppies, a bunch of babies (guppies), and 2 dwarf cories. We'll also be getting some more cories and if the set-up is right for them 1 or more African Butterflies (have to check on their needs, can't remember what they are). Yes I know the Butterflies will eat the baby guppies, but the way they breed it's ok. We counted about 100 baby guppies in my boyfriend's 125 gal. Now for my question....if we put the tank water from my 30 gal (at water changing time) and then add tap water to top it off (we're on well water, so we don't have to treat our water) do I still have to let the water cycle through? And do I still need to add some other fish for about a month before my Chichlids are added? Joe, my boyfriend, thinks if we use the water from my 30 gal we can just add the fish at the same time. Thanks for your input.

As some of you may have already read I'm going to be setting up a 55 gal (US) and was thinking of putting my Cockatoos in there. Well, my boyfriend and I've talked and we're putting a total of 8 Cockatoos (2 males and 3 females) in there along with 5 adult guppies, a bunch of babies (guppies), and 2 dwarf cories. We'll also be getting some more cories and if the set-up is right for them 1 or more African Butterflies (have to check on their needs, can't remember what they are). Yes I know the Butterflies will eat the baby guppies, but the way they breed it's ok. We counted about 100 baby guppies in my boyfriend's 125 gal. Now for my question....if we put the tank water from my 30 gal (at water changing time) and then add tap water to top it off (we're on well water, so we don't have to treat our water) do I still have to let the water cycle through? And do I still need to add some other fish for about a month before my Chichlids are added? Joe, my boyfriend, thinks if we use the water from my 30 gal we can just add the fish at the same time. Thanks for your input.

no ur tank will have 2 be monitored before adding fish even adding the water the tank will probably not be cycled enough 2 add fish straight away do wot u was going 2 do without adding fish then check stats everyday for next week if they seem fine then maybe u could add the fish but i personally think it would take longer 2 cycle than a week :):)

The water on its own will not be enough, if you can get some established filter media then that will help.

On a note about the tankmates, the African butterfly fish may eat the adult guppies, so I would be wary of them. Also I have read on this site some people having problems with a breeding pair of apisto's picking on corys (due to being on the same tank level), so just a warning (I would also add more than 2 straight away, say 6 as they really do like to be in groups).

The water on its own will not be enough, if you can get some established filter media then that will help.

On a note about the tankmates, the African butterfly fish may eat the adult guppies, so I would be wary of them. Also I have read on this site some people having problems with a breeding pair of apisto's picking on corys (due to being on the same tank level), so just a warning (I would also add more than 2 straight away, say 6 as they really do like to be in groups).

We were also planning on using the filter media from my 30 gal too, I failed to mention that, sorry.

I've had the butterflies with guppies before and she left the adults alone, though she only ate fish. My boyfriend was the one who got the cories for me and he only got 2, I've been waiting to set the 55 gal up before getting more. So far the apisto's have left the cories alone, it's the other female apisto's and the guppies they go after. Though I do have one female apisto that hangs out with the guppies and even one of the male guppies tried to mate with her, I swear they are just like rabbits.

8 apistos might be a bit much as they are territorial. I have 2 in my 55 gallon and they bicker quite often. I would be careful with that.

8 apistos might be a bit much as they are territorial. I have 2 in my 55 gallon and they bicker quite often. I would be careful with that.

Really? Well, if it doesn't work out we've always got another tank to put them in. At this point in time we've got 125 gal, 55, 30, 20, two 10s, and about 5 smaller ones that we can use. Then we've got some stainless steel ones to re-seal, 20 long, 20 tall, a few 30s and even some 10s. All but the stainless steels have lids, heaters, and filters. Right now we're only using the 30 and the 125 gals. I know my male is territorial, as is 2 of my females, the other female hangs out witht the guppies. All 4 of his fish are not territorial at all.

Provide lots of caves. Flat rocks stacked up high works great.

I've been looking through my boyfriend's rock collection picking out the pieces I want in my tank, lol. I knew one day his hobbies would come in handy. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back