Questions about setting up my 90 gallon tank again...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

The tank in my signature has black limpopo River sand. As @Byron says its not actually black - but I like it. I had play sand in a large tank for 13 years and never had it compact ????

I don't know too much about fish physiology but I regularly watch my corydoras take sand in through their mouths and expel it via their gills. No way I'm putting blasting sand in there.
Blasting sand isnt effective at what it does because its sharp its effective at what it does because like all sand its hard People have used play sand for sand blasting. It no sharper or harder than any other sand, and plenty of people have reported being worried about using it with bottom dwellers and fish that may have sand go through their gills or it being to rough on their tummies and so far over the last few years people have reported that their fish are happy and healthy and thriving and though ive only been using it for a couple months now and had my own reservations about it so far so good. Ive used just about every substrate there is, gravel, aqua soil, dirted, fluorite, play sand, pool filter sand, and now blasting sand and the blasting sand has been economical inert safe for my fish is great at anchoring plants great surface for beneficial bacteria and oxygen exchange but people tend to fear it because instead of coming in a bag with a fish on it from a fish store one gets it at a tractor store. If one doesnt want to try it thats great to each there one but hey this hobby is evolving every minute and people are trying out different things and seeing what works and what doesnt and so far there is zero evidence to suggest blasting sand doesnt work. Good luck peeps in whatever one chooses, i find the substrate debate to be fascinating part of the hobby

There is sufficient evidence that harm is likely when the substrate is blasting sand and other industrial sands. Just ask Ian Fuller who has been collecting fish in South America for decades and spawning and raising fry for as long. Or you can ask Heiko Bleher. When we go to the individuals who do actually know, we will get reliable answers. The following is Ian's article published on CorydorasWorld (minus the photos).

Corydoradinae Habitat conditions

There are constantly discussions held on social media channels as to the correct substrate for Corydoradinae catfishes. So, I decided to put some of the facts together based on personal observation in many species of Corydoras’s natural habitats.

The first thing to remember with this group of fishes is that they are primarily filter feeders. They do not have cutting or crushing teeth like some of the predatory Catfish, nor do the have rasping teeth like the grazing Loricariid Catfish, these fish will sift the substrate, which in the majority of cases is sand.

Smooth sand which been created over millions of years by the constant tumbling action of moving water, whether it be the oceans tidal and wave actions or the constant varying flow of rivers. The more the flow and tumbling action the finer the sand becomes.

In some areas the sand found can be fairly course, and grains could be as large as one millimetre, or as fine as caster sugar, the one thing that will be common is that the grains will be smooth and not sharp and gritty like quarried sand as use in the building industry.

Over many years I have spent many hours watching, and filming Cory’s feeding, in some cases it is quite comical, especially with the larger straight (Lineage 8) and curved (Lineage 1) snouted species who tend to bury the deepest, Some almost completely burying themselves when they dive right in searching out the food they sense is there. I have taken video clips of the feeding actions of several species from different lineages. And all, even the smallest species will mouth the sand.

Many people argue and state that “Their Cory’s are perfectly happy living over gravel”. But I find it very difficult to see how they can determine the happiness of a fish. They may be surviving and because they are actively scurrying around in their constant hunt for food are seen as being happy.

I have seen video’s on face book showing the presenter displaying a rough irregular gravel they discovered at a particular location and stating that Cory’s are happy living amongst it. However, I know and have collected in that very location many times and the gravel compound that the person in the video is showing is actually part of the aggregate that was used during the construction of the relatively new nearby road bridge.

There are places where there are gravel, pebble and rock rivers and streams, but when taking a good look at some of these places the streams and riverbeds are sand. The natural habitat of C. weitzmani is one such place. I have never seen deep layers of a single sizes gravel; it is always a range of many variable sizes and usually it appears as a widespread scattering.

The biggest problem with using any type of gravel in an aquarium is that food particles will fall between the particles and decompose, and if the aquarium is not maintained and or filtered adequately the water quality will deteriorate very quickly. The other danger as far as keeping Cory’s over gravel is the fact that they cannot easily move gravel to access the particles of food within it, and if the gravel is of anything other than smooth and rounded particles they can and often do damage their delicate barbels and mouths parts.

As I hinted at earlier, different forms and sizes of Cory will feed at different levels in the substrate, from dwarf species working the surface, medium round snouted species delving five or six millimetres into it, and the larger straight and saddle snouted species often burying themselves.

Regarding decoration, naturally there are few plant laden habitats, most are plain sand streams and riverbeds, in swampy areas there may be some vegetation, but there will certainly be lots and lots of leaf litter, tree roots, fallen branches, twigs and vine roots.

There is sufficient evidence that harm is likely when the substrate is blasting sand and other industrial sands. Just ask Ian Fuller who has been collecting fish in South America for decades and spawning and raising fry for as long. Or you can ask Heiko Bleher. When we go to the individuals who do actually know, we will get reliable answers. The following is Ian's article published on CorydorasWorld (minus the photos).

There are constantly discussions held on social media channels as to the correct substrate for Corydoradinae catfishes. So, I decided to put some of the facts together based on personal observation in many species of Corydoras’s natural habitats.

The first thing to remember with this group of fishes is that they are primarily filter feeders. They do not have cutting or crushing teeth like some of the predatory Catfish, nor do the have rasping teeth like the grazing Loricariid Catfish, these fish will sift the substrate, which in the majority of cases is sand.

Smooth sand which been created over millions of years by the constant tumbling action of moving water, whether it be the oceans tidal and wave actions or the constant varying flow of rivers. The more the flow and tumbling action the finer the sand becomes.

In some areas the sand found can be fairly course, and grains could be as large as one millimetre, or as fine as caster sugar, the one thing that will be common is that the grains will be smooth and not sharp and gritty like quarried sand as use in the building industry.

Over many years I have spent many hours watching, and filming Cory’s feeding, in some cases it is quite comical, especially with the larger straight (Lineage 8) and curved (Lineage 1) snouted species who tend to bury the deepest, Some almost completely burying themselves when they dive right in searching out the food they sense is there. I have taken video clips of the feeding actions of several species from different lineages. And all, even the smallest species will mouth the sand.

Many people argue and state that “Their Cory’s are perfectly happy living over gravel”. But I find it very difficult to see how they can determine the happiness of a fish. They may be surviving and because they are actively scurrying around in their constant hunt for food are seen as being happy.

I have seen video’s on face book showing the presenter displaying a rough irregular gravel they discovered at a particular location and stating that Cory’s are happy living amongst it. However, I know and have collected in that very location many times and the gravel compound that the person in the video is showing is actually part of the aggregate that was used during the construction of the relatively new nearby road bridge.

There are places where there are gravel, pebble and rock rivers and streams, but when taking a good look at some of these places the streams and riverbeds are sand. The natural habitat of C. weitzmani is one such place. I have never seen deep layers of a single sizes gravel; it is always a range of many variable sizes and usually it appears as a widespread scattering.

The biggest problem with using any type of gravel in an aquarium is that food particles will fall between the particles and decompose, and if the aquarium is not maintained and or filtered adequately the water quality will deteriorate very quickly. The other danger as far as keeping Cory’s over gravel is the fact that they cannot easily move gravel to access the particles of food within it, and if the gravel is of anything other than smooth and rounded particles they can and often do damage their delicate barbels and mouths parts.

As I hinted at earlier, different forms and sizes of Cory will feed at different levels in the substrate, from dwarf species working the surface, medium round snouted species delving five or six millimetres into it, and the larger straight and saddle snouted species often burying themselves.

Regarding decoration, naturally there are few plant laden habitats, most are plain sand streams and riverbeds, in swampy areas there may be some vegetation, but there will certainly be lots and lots of leaf litter, tree roots, fallen branches, twigs and vine roots.

I have all my old gravel...I was wondering can I put this into bags, like a laundry type bag with very fine small holes where the gravel won't escape...can I use that to build "hills" and stuff inside the tank instead of buying more and more sand? Clearly I would cover the bags with sand...

Last edited:
You are better off using plastic containers with holes in to make the main hills because they displace less water than sand. You can glue plants, sand, gravel or small rocks to the containers to help camouflage it. Then have pots or trays with plants on top.

I used rock (river rock should be safe). Sand tends to even out over time due to the water currents and fish activity, unless you build terraces. Don't mix substrate materials, as they will mix together and look less than natural, and the sand being the smallest grain will be on the bottom.

Id be interested to hear his take on blasting sand. Blasting sand isnt a sand used for industrial construction. Its not jagged or sharp, like i said earlier one can and has used regular play sand for sandblasting that doesnt make play sand dangerous because its used industrially. If one were really worried about cories in blasting sand get the fine grit, its super fine like as the article says like "caster sugar" the article talks a great deal about gravel but blasting sand isnt gravel its as the name says, sand. Anyway interesting discussion.

Id be interested to hear his take on blasting sand. Blasting sand isnt a sand used for industrial construction. Its not jagged or sharp, like i said earlier one can and has used regular play sand for sandblasting that doesnt make play sand dangerous because its used industrially. If one were really worried about cories in blasting sand get the fine grit, its super fine like as the article says like "caster sugar" the article talks a great deal about gravel but blasting sand isnt gravel its as the name says, sand. Anyway interesting discussion.

Ian says no to all industrial sands. That is covered in para 4 of the cited article, but recently on CW there have been a couple of discussion threads on sand, and Ian pulled no punches...industrial sands are no good for cories. I use play sand and Ian says no on that too, but I accept that and I would not argue with someone who knows more about cories than everyone on TFF combined. That is how we learn (or should learn).

Ian says no to all industrial sands. That is covered in para 4 of the cited article, and recently on CW there have been a couple of discussion threads on sand, and Ian pulled no punches...industrial sands are no good for cories. I use play sand and Ian says no on that too, but I accept that and I would not argue with someone who knows more about cories than everyone on TFF combined. That is how we learn (or should learn).
I can agree with this and when it comes down to it keeping any fish in a fish tank isnt in its best interests. Feedind them commercialized food and keeping them in de chlorinated water and shipping them in boxes on air planes and trucks. Where does one draw the line? I cant create the exact conditions that a fish has on the wild in a 2 foot glass box in my basement. I can do my best with the resources available to me and for me thats blasting sand as substrate and you use play sand which the author also says not to use yet here we are. Is blasting sand what cories live on in the wild? Nope but its just as safe as all the other commercialized sands that i can buy for my fish in a glass box. I appreciate the article and info though, its good to have information and i appreciate the non volatile way you present it, thankyou!

Ian says no to all industrial sands. That is covered in para 4 of the cited article, but recently on CW there have been a couple of discussion threads on sand, and Ian pulled no punches...industrial sands are no good for cories. I use play sand and Ian says no on that too, but I accept that and I would not argue with someone who knows more about cories than everyone on TFF combined. That is how we learn (or should learn).

So the sand I posted (which is what I got) will be ok?

So the sand I posted (which is what I got) will be ok?

I cannot say. I tried to find out just what this is, and reading the questions/answers at the link site came across this:
It is silica sand, coated with a black polymer paint. No dye is used.​
That worries me a bit; many years ago I had a black gravel in a tank and after several years the black began wearing off and the gravel was blue.

As for its size, I would want to see it and hold it in my hand.

If you do go industrial, which I have done, pool sand is way smoother then blasting sand. I’ve used both. Pool filter sand is processed more to do its job. Some blasting sand even has chunks of glass in it.
I can literally feel the difference with my calloused hands, so I’m sure the soft small belly of a fish can.

I like to always have at least some sand in my tanks because it allows the fish to sift through the sand looking for food. Over the years I have found that this resulted in an overall cleaner tank and easier water changes.

I have play sand in my 40 gallon tank. Be careful if you stir it up. Several times, I have had fine particles sucked into my Marineland filter and had them get jammed by the impellor. If you don't catch it, the motor overheats.

Back to stocking, I would recommend looking at African cichlids, specifically mbunas. They get quite a bit larger than tetras/guppies and in my experience are much hardier once the tank is established. With your size tank you could probably fit a nice sized group in there.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back