Questions about planted tank decor

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NoLa24

Reaction score
I recently set up my first planted aquarium, I intend to add shrimp eventually after its cycled and established. I'm curious as to wether or not petrified wood is ok to use as a decor piece? I soaked it in treated water for several days before adding to planted tank, but I'm wondering if this will be ok down the line when I add shrimp to the tank? I'm personally not a fan of driftwood but I would like at least one non-rock decor piece in there. Thanks in advance for any advice as I'm quite the novice regarding planted tanks/aquascaping

I wouldn't use it.

First of all, I should point out that petrified wood is a rock; it's a fossil. Many fossils dissolve in water, and many others contain minerals and heavy metals that would definitely not be safe in a fish tank, especially not one for shrimps.

I concur with fluttermoth. I do recall reading a while back somewhere that petrified wood will dissolve minerals. Real wood is beneficial and worth having; my tanks are loaded with chunks of wood and/or branches. I do collect branches but only trees like oak, maple, beech; my chunks are Malaysian Driftwood purchased from a fish store (it is also available online).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back