Questions about guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Migitney

Reaction score
I finally got the nitrogen cycle down even though I went through it with my Betta it seemed to differ from my ten gallon tank and have even set up a 55 gallon coming soon. I got the gold fish out of my ten and now I have zebra danios and I recently got four guppies. The guppies are hiding in the corner which I read the stress is normal, however I noticed my danios are picking on one of the guppies and he is terrorized in the corner afraid of them. They are supposed to get along but it looks like they are a little aggressive should I be worried? I'm sorry if the pictures don't help it's just the one in the corner staring at the glass....

Attachments

• 16271826523324735179292417726362.jpg
    16271826523324735179292417726362.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 16271826855073442945016236205498.jpg
    16271826855073442945016236205498.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 16271827017114386259017145485063.jpg
    16271827017114386259017145485063.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 57
I finally got the nitrogen cycle down even though I went through it with my Betta it seemed to differ from my ten gallon tank and have even set up a 55 gallon coming soon. I got the gold fish out of my ten and now I have zebra danios and I recently got four guppies. The guppies are hiding in the corner which I read the stress is normal, however I noticed my danios are picking on one of the guppies and he is terrorized in the corner afraid of them. They are supposed to get along but it looks like they are a little aggressive should I be worried? I'm sorry if the pictures don't help it's just the one in the corner staring at the glass....
Those gupps look really stressed they are breathing from the top of tank. Turn off the lights and put all your live or plastic decorations in the tank so they have room to hide in. Im not sure if danios are aggressive ill go check

Edit yes they canThey can display aggressive behavior towards slow moving long-finned fish species from fishkeepingworld.com

My Danios are very territorial towards the top end of the tank and the others tend not to bother going near them. Danios are very quick and can be know to stress out much quieter and slow moving fish. As Sqoosh mentioned, load up the plants and give them barriers and hiding places.

got it caught the smallest one exploring but always comes back to that corner the one they were picking on seems to have some fin rot on his fin though. poor guy. so ill be getting some more plants for them today to ease the stress.

Update I returned the danios to the pet store and returned with a few more guppies they are still stressed so no pics yet but it seems one is heavily unbalance (of the original group) he is struggling to stay alive it looks like will be removing and quarantine the others just stressed although they all started pooping at the same time when introduced...stress? Maybe? Checking water perimeters if anything 30percent waterchange asap after they settle in I'll send pics.... Any other advice let me know.

Please slow down!!
Take a breath...a deep, deep breath...

Are you sure your tank is properly cycled and, if so, how do you know this?
I suspect the place where the fish came from was quite different to the place that they now find themselves in.

Assuming the water IS okay, then...
@Sgooosh is correct in suggesting you lose the lights for a while and add some plants...real ones are so, so, so much better, in so, so, so many ways. With plants in the tank, you can switch the lights back on, but I'd suggest no more than 6-7 hours a day at this stage.
Did you acclimatise the fish to the tank, or did you just put them in, straight from the shop? (Never do this).

'Be the fish'...imagine you're taken from a crowded hall, full of people you know and placed into a vast, empty space, with bright lights and the air you breathe smells bad, tastes bad and you find it hard to breathe. ;)

No need to slow down not a newbie the water perimeters are fine who would just through fish into the tank? And real plants are nice assuming you have the light as well as the extra to take care of them planted Betta aquarium! And I'm sure it is exactly where the first ones came from. And water babe and sqoosh already covered those bases with me had you read the post you would see that I started with I got the nitrogen cycle down the tank is fully cycled it had it's spike then another until the water calmed down the amonia would be from a fully stalked tank as it's been about Three weeks since my lastwater change to ensure there wouldn't be a third spike

No need to slow down not a newbie the water perimeters are fine who would just through fish into the tank? And real plants are nice assuming you have the light as well as the extra to take care of them planted Betta aquarium! And I'm sure it is exactly where the first ones came from. And water babe and sqoosh already covered those bases with me had you read the post you would see that I started with I got the nitrogen cycle down the tank is fully cycled it had it's spike then another until the water calmed down the amonia would be from a fully stalked tank as it's been about Three weeks since my lastwater change to ensure there wouldn't be a third spike
I read the post, which told me that you didn't know what you were doing. Your response doesn't dissuade me of that belief.
I'll leave you to it and hope you don't kill your fish.

How did you cycle the tank, fishless or with fish?

How long has the tank been set up? What test kit do you use?

I read the post, which told me that you didn't know what you were doing. Your response doesn't dissuade me of that belief.
I'll leave you to it and hope you don't kill your fish.
I suspect that your always this rude to anyone who is looking for help is that why you snuff with you nose up in the air doesn't sound like you wanna help so please don't Mind if I take other advice but advise you not to reply

I suspect that your always this rude to anyone who is looking for help is that why you snuff with you nose up in the air doesn't sound like you wanna help so please don't Mind if I take other advice but advise you not to reply
Let's keep things civil here, please.

@Migitney, like me, you’ve not been on the forum for very long. Many newer members have very different understandings of what a cycled tank is - I was told by my lfs to run the filter for a week to 10 days. You don’t give any indication in this thread of your experience with fish keeping, or indeed any firm measurements of your water parameters, other than ‘fine’. Fine compared to what..? Are your Ammonia and Nitrite readings zero? What type of test did you use..? You do mention several ‘ammonia spikes’, you, with your experience, will know that these are very dangerous to fish and I would suggest (subject to knowing the exact numbers) a much larger than 30% water change, and I wouldn’t leave it until they’ve settled in - that may well be too long.

Many of us do just “throw” fish into a tank and are then very grateful for the questions and advice given so freely on here when faced with the situation you seem to be in now.

It’s sad that you’ve come here to ask for advice and then when you are being questioned and given advice you are so defensive and rude.

@Bruce Leyland-Jones - keep giving your insights and advice, many of us are grateful and are learning from the detailed replies you and many others leave.

@Migitney, like me, you’ve not been on the forum for very long. Many newer members have very different understandings of what a cycled tank is - I was told by my lfs to run the filter for a week to 10 days. You don’t give any indication in this thread of your experience with fish keeping, or indeed any firm measurements of your water parameters, other than ‘fine’. Fine compared to what..? Are your Ammonia and Nitrite readings zero? What type of test did you use..? You do mention several ‘ammonia spikes’, you, with your experience, will know that these are very dangerous to fish and I would suggest (subject to knowing the exact numbers) a much larger than 30% water change, and I wouldn’t leave it until they’ve settled in - that may well be too long.

Many of us do just “throw” fish into a tank and are then very grateful for the questions and advice given so freely on here when faced with the situation you seem to be in now.

It’s sad that you’ve come here to ask for advice and then when you are being questioned and given advice you are so defensive and rude.

@Bruce Leyland-Jones - keep giving your insights and advice, many of us are grateful and are learning from the detailed replies you and many others leave.
Wow that was very kind of you, however I wasn't ungreatful I was greeted with disrespectful comments and regarding the information that was given o gave a clear response if you would like to know more information about my water testing you could have asked asking me to remain respectful and a " beginner" it surprises me you all don't turn every " beginner" away from the hobby I was not rude and wasn't deserving of the rude comments made to me by such owner and had they been more willing to try and understand rather than get upset and angrily write me back thier advice would be considered. Thank you though

Wow that was very kind of you, however I wasn't ungreatful I was greeted with disrespectful comments and regarding the information that was given o gave a clear response if you would like to know more information about my water testing you could have asked asking me to remain respectful and a " beginner" it surprises me you all don't turn every " beginner" away from the hobby I was not rude and wasn't deserving of the rude comments made to me by such owner and had they been more willing to try and understand rather than get upset and angrily write me back thier advice would be considered. Thank you though
Please keep in mind that all advice given here is free of charge, and it is up to the OP to take or leave that advice.

We are here to help, not to disrespect. The advice given is in the best interest for the well-being of our fish, and the peace of mind for the fishkeeper.

The most important factor to consider for the health of our fish is the water parameters (conditions) our fish are living with in our tanks...specifically, ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte levels in the water. First and foremost, we need to know these levels before considering other factors that may be contributing to detrimental behavior or health of our fish.

Again: How long has the tank been set up?
What kind of cycle did you perform, fishless or fish-in?
What kind of test kit do you use?
What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

They are supposed to get along but it looks like they are a little aggressive should I be worried?
I used to have a lot of guppies at one time always males though as i didn't want the breeding and i got some danio's, never again aggressive or what and towards my guppies and my guppies used to keep out the way so i soon removed them and they was took to our local store.
I've never touched them since.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back