Questions about Apistogramas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

utahfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So im planning on getting a 125 gal tank id like to fill it with tetras and maybe some Apistos but have never had Apistos, ive kept german rams and bolivian rams but dislike that they only live 1 to 2 years where as as far as ive learned most apistos can live up to 5. Ive also read they and Corys dont get along seeing as they inhabit the same water level, so question is for those that have had Apistos, whichkind do you prefer and why? What tank mates do you prefer with your Apistos and why and Do Apistos prefer to be in Pairs or Harems?

In a 125 gallon tank you could have Apistogrammas and Corydoras. There is plenty of room there for them both to co-exist.

Apistogrammas, Blue rams, and Bolivian rams should all live for 4-5+ years. If your rams are dying after 1-2 years, there is something wrong with them.

I prefer to keep Apistogrammas in pairs (1 male & 1 female). That way the male can look after his partner and not have to worry about multiple females being spread over a large area. It's less stressful to the male and you get better results when breeding.

Apistogramma cacatuoides is my favorite. The males are a bit bigger than many other species and have long fins and brightly coloured tails. They are also really easy to breed, make great parents, and thrive in most aquariums.

The only problem with keeping apistos and cories together is that cories will eat apisto eggs and fry, and that cories will never learn to stay away from the apistos' territory, so if there are eggs the parents will attack them whenever the cories get to close.

Normally more than one cichlid species in an aquarium is not a good idea, but here you do have space (I will assume the tank length is five feet at least, maybe six?) so this could work with an aquascape well divided (by chunks of wood on the substrate, plants, branches) and depending upon species. Some Apistogramma are harem species, others better in pairs. Females can be very rough on other species (Apistogramma) during egg/fry guarding, I have had them kill each other and that was in a 4-foot 70g tank. Agree with essjay that if you want to raise fry, do not have substrate fish that are nocturnal like Corydoras. But aside from saving eggs/fry, no issues generally as the cories will bumble around and get pushed and head-bunted but normally not with injury.

Also agree with Colin that both rams should live more than two years; the normal lifespan for both is 4-5 years. My Bolivian Ram male on his own (meaning no other cichlids, just over a hundred characins and Corydoras) liveed into his ninth year. The common blue ram (in any of its varieties) needs warmth, no lower than 80F (27C) or it willnot live beyond 1-2 years. The Bolivian is not so demanding of warmth. All of these are sensitive and somewhat delicatee fish, requiring stable water conditions and parameters.

In a 125 gallon tank you could have Apistogrammas and Corydoras. There is plenty of room there for them both to co-exist.

Apistogrammas, Blue rams, and Bolivian rams should all live for 4-5+ years. If your rams are dying after 1-2 years, there is something wrong with them.

I prefer to keep Apistogrammas in pairs (1 male & 1 female). That way the male can look after his partner and not have to worry about multiple females being spread over a large area. It's less stressful to the male and you get better results when breeding.

Apistogramma cacatuoides is my favorite. The males are a bit bigger than many other species and have long fins and brightly coloured tails. They are also really easy to breed, make great parents, and thrive in most aquariums.
Colin T thanks for the reply. I actually like the look of the cockatoos as well. My bolivians hid alot are cockatoos more active less shy, or is it just depend on the fish? Also good to know they do better in a pair instead of harem.

The only problem with keeping apistos and cories together is that cories will eat apisto eggs and fry, and that cories will never learn to stay away from the apistos' territory, so if there are eggs the parents will attack them whenever the cories get to close.
Thanks for the reply, i was on the fence about apistos and corys together but i think ill stick with one or the other.

Normally more than one cichlid species in an aquarium is not a good idea, but here you do have space (I will assume the tank length is five feet at least, maybe six?) so this could work with an aquascape well divided (by chunks of wood on the substrate, plants, branches) and depending upon species. Some Apistogramma are harem species, others better in pairs. Females can be very rough on other species (Apistogramma) during egg/fry guarding, I have had them kill each other and that was in a 4-foot 70g tank. Agree with essjay that if you want to raise fry, do not have substrate fish that are nocturnal like Corydoras. But aside from saving eggs/fry, no issues generally as the cories will bumble around and get pushed and head-bunted but normally not with injury.

Also agree with Colin that both rams should live more than two years; the normal lifespan for both is 4-5 years. My Bolivian Ram male on his own (meaning no other cichlids, just over a hundred characins and Corydoras) liveed into his ninth year. The common blue ram (in any of its varieties) needs warmth, no lower than 80F (27C) or it willnot live beyond 1-2 years. The Bolivian is not so demanding of warmth. All of these are sensitive and somewhat delicatee fish, requiring stable water conditions and parameters.
Byron thanks for the reply, i think if i do go the apisto or ram route ill keep just a pair of one or the other no other cichlids and not coreys with rams or apistos. Thanks for the tip on the temp, i definitely dont want any fish that require running my tank at 80 degrees thats way to warm for my electric bill

All fish can be shy but if the water is clean and the tank is in an area where lots of people move around, they tame down readily and will be less likely to hide.

If you have concerns about warm water and high power bills, you can insulate the aquarium. Have 1 inch thick polystyrene foam under the tank and on the back and 2 sides (just sticky tape it on the outside of the glass). Have 4-6mm thick cover glass on top of the tank. This will hold the heat in and the aquarium heater will run less but the water will stay warm.

Collin T thanks for the tips on temp retention, ill have to try that once i get the tank set up

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back