Tank size: 64L
pH: 5.9-6.4
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20
kH: 2
gH: nil
tank temp: 25 degrees celsius

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
First noticed it inside the tank 5 days ago but fished it out recently when rescaping hardscape and got a better look at it from above the fish. Localised growth/lump on the right lower aspect of the Peppered Cory, appears to be unilateral only/left side appears normal(?). No meds added yet, fish was born and raised in the tank. Behaviour appears normal, appearance as described above, please find attached photos below (I apologise, there are no side on shots, in hindsight I should have netted it and snapped it).

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 64L, weekly WC

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Fertiliser added 2x weekly, initially used stability to cycle

Tank inhabitants: 3 peppered, 2 bronze, 2 panda corydoras

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): nil

Exposure to chemicals: Aside from above liquid fertiliser, nothing of note.

I first noticed this peppered cory cat exhibiting this bulge on its lower right abdomen recently but did not take much notice as I thought it was likely bilateral and the opposite side showing similar pattern. However today I was rescaping the tank and had to remove all fish and found that this abnormality was only found on its right side. It is still capable of swimming and eating normally. I thought it may have been due to indigestion and proceeded to place some de-shelled peas inside the tank but all cories refused to pay attention as they're accustomed to more protein options. Another differential diagnosis is dropsy however I've only seen it in my guppies and they it appeared to be diffuse as opposed to being contained to one side.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    766.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 3.png
    3.png
    940.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
In some of the photos the scales appear to be pineconed. If you look at him from above to his scales stick out like a pinecone?

In some of the photos the scales appear to be pineconed. If you look at him from above to his scales stick out like a pinecone?

I agree JuiceBox52. I also had this thought when looking at him from above, but then again, when comparing to the other 2 peppered cories, they looked alike. I will attempt to take some clearer photos from another angle which may help.

I agree JuiceBox52. I also had this thought when looking at him from above, but then again, when comparing to the other 2 peppered cories, they looked alike. I will attempt to take some clearer photos from another angle which may help.
Try do 75% daily water change substrate clean.

Try do 75% daily water change substrate clean.

Thanks Barry, just did one yesterday. I usually do 50% but upped it this time round.

I've got new photos of this one. Please excuse the GDA, I just got a new light and need a dimmer as it's far too strong. She's (?) also very skittish with this stronger light so I tried as best I could by coaxing with frozen worms. @JuiceBox52
1.pngUntitled.png

Just wanted to update this thread and ask for advice regarding a definitive issue -
This cory turned out to fill out on the other side and seemed like it was due to being a female/egg-laden. I've cut back on frequency of bloodworms whilst increasing spirulina as they'd all become engorged.

Recently, I introduced some new algae shrimp but I believe it has brought with it a bacterial/fungal disease. Two days after introduction, there was onset of unilateral popeye in the eldest corydoras. I chalked it down to possible injury as it was one-sided but it has since evolved to become bilateral. Furthermore, another peppered cory has since started exhibiting it in one of his eyes as well. Two of the bronze corydoras also started displaying white fungal-like growths on their body.

Treatments attempted:
-I put the popeye fish into a quarantine tank with epsom salt as a 6 hour bath but it was unsuccessful - fish started to become pale at 6 hour mark at which point I decided to put them back.
-Dosed pimafix and melafix for 1 week - this resolved the fungal-like growths on the bronze corydoras.
-Following above, dosed tetracycline as it's the only antibiotic available at my LFS and Seachem Stability (as tetracycline affects nitrifying bacteria) - 75% of the shrimp colony died after this with plant growth stagnating.
-Water parameters remain the same as opening post above but I have stopped dosing plant fertiliser and increased water changes to 3 times a week at 30%.

As of today, the corydoras still have popeye and have begun to show a light-pinkish hue in their underbellies, with the eldest's underbelly starting to shrink and appear thin. Their behaviour has significantly reduced in activity and appear lethargic at times. Prognosis is questionable to poor at this stage.
I predict that the others' conditions are following this course as well as they have started to display the pink bellies. I don't believe it is red-blotch disease as the pink is more generalised over the abdominal region as opposed to a localised and defined 'blotch'.

I've resorted to trying a broader-spectrum antibiotic regimen by combining Kanamycin and Nitrofurazone. I can only get Kanaplex online/overseas so it will take a while to arrive here. Re Nitrofurazone, a local shop had Furacilin tablets so I will dose accordingly once Kanaplex is here. My rationale is this will address facultative anaerobes and gram negatives like Aeromonas which are responsible for many fish diseases. Another option is Seachem's Polyguard but I read that Malachite Green is lethal for Corydoras fish.

Please find attached a photo of the eldest peppered corydoras from when she had unilateral popeye (prior to bath) to bilateral (today); I will try to get better photos of their pink abdominals but it is quite difficult.

IMG_4039[3830].jpgIMG_4071[3818].jpg
Only left eye affected.------------------- Both eyes affected with shrunken abdominal.

As a reference point, you can see the difference between a healthy female corydoras (below) and the ill one (above) when comparing their abdominal region:
1.png2.png

Has anyone any advice for my situation? Thank you in advance.

Just wanted to update this thread and ask for advice regarding a definitive issue -
This cory turned out to fill out on the other side and seemed like it was due to being a female/egg-laden. I've cut back on frequency of bloodworms whilst increasing spirulina as they'd all become engorged.

Recently, I introduced some new algae shrimp but I believe it has brought with it a bacterial/fungal disease. Two days after introduction, there was onset of unilateral popeye in the eldest corydoras. I chalked it down to possible injury as it was one-sided but it has since evolved to become bilateral. Furthermore, another peppered cory has since started exhibiting it in one of his eyes as well. Two of the bronze corydoras also started displaying white fungal-like growths on their body.

Treatments attempted:
-I put the popeye fish into a quarantine tank with epsom salt as a 6 hour bath but it was unsuccessful - fish started to become pale at 6 hour mark at which point I decided to put them back.
-Dosed pimafix and melafix for 1 week - this resolved the fungal-like growths on the bronze corydoras.
-Following above, dosed tetracycline as it's the only antibiotic available at my LFS and Seachem Stability (as tetracycline affects nitrifying bacteria) - 75% of the shrimp colony died after this with plant growth stagnating.
-Water parameters remain the same as opening post above but I have stopped dosing plant fertiliser and increased water changes to 3 times a week at 30%.

As of today, the corydoras still have popeye and have begun to show a light-pinkish hue in their underbellies, with the eldest's underbelly starting to shrink and appear thin. Their behaviour has significantly reduced in activity and appear lethargic at times. Prognosis is questionable to poor at this stage.
I predict that the others' conditions are following this course as well as they have started to display the pink bellies. I don't believe it is red-blotch disease as the pink is more generalised over the abdominal region as opposed to a localised and defined 'blotch'.

I've resorted to trying a broader-spectrum antibiotic regimen by combining Kanamycin and Nitrofurazone. I can only get Kanaplex online/overseas so it will take a while to arrive here. Re Nitrofurazone, a local shop had Furacilin tablets so I will dose accordingly once Kanaplex is here. My rationale is this will address facultative anaerobes and gram negatives like Aeromonas which are responsible for many fish diseases. Another option is Seachem's Polyguard but I read that Malachite Green is lethal for Corydoras fish.

Please find attached a photo of the eldest peppered corydoras from when she had unilateral popeye (prior to bath) to bilateral (today); I will try to get better photos of their pink abdominals but it is quite difficult.

View attachment 99870View attachment 99869
Only left eye affected.------------------- Both eyes affected with shrunken abdominal.

As a reference point, you can see the difference between a healthy female corydoras (below) and the ill one (above) when comparing their abdominal region:
View attachment 99871View attachment 99872

Has anyone any advice for my situation? Thank you in advance.
I would post this new problem in a new thread under the topic "tropical emergencies"

Sounds like what i'm dealing with: aeromonas bacteria.

Good news is that kana and furan is a good treatment for it. I personally can't get antibiotics, so i'm using methylene blue and salt.

I've also been advised to start daily 75% water changes. Good luck! I felt my fish were goners as well, but now I have hope they might be saved.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back