question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blackhawksfn0286

Reaction score
Say you wanted just for the fun of it just to keep in your tank... how do you do inbreed the fish? i am confused... I am not saying i am goin to do it i am just confused and wondering what would make the fish do this and if it were to happen it dosnt sound like it would be too bad

Inbreed? Inbreeding fish is just breeding sister-to-brother or mother-to-son etc...
It happens all the time and has no obvious effect except for when fish are mass in-bred like in the case of neon tetras and dwarf gouramies where it results in a weakened immune system and lots of diseases... Anyone can inbreed a fish and it isn't the slightest bit unusual. Guppies, for example, are in-bred all the time. If you leave the fry your fish produced in the same tank, they'll breed with each other and their parents - that's inbreeding...

Maybe you mean cross-breeding different species? Producing hybrids? That's a little more controversial and a lot more difficult in many cases.

Most cichlids that belong to the same genus will readily inter-breed and produce mixed-species offspring. The same upplies to guppy/molly crosses and platy/swordtail crosses. Many danios will inter-breed too. Gouramies in the trichogaster genus can also apparently inter-breed. You would breed them like any other fish of their species. As they are closely related they will breed together very easily and naturaly.

The reason it is a problem is because some of these fish may end up back in the wild. In some cases, these fish would survive and breed with wild fish. The result would be mixed wild fish which could result in the original species' extinction - similar to what has been happening with dogs inter-breeding with wolves (though they are actualy the same species in this case) or wolves with coyotes - causing a decline in pure individuals of both species.

If you want to try it - well go ahead. Try breeding a male guppy and a female molly. The fry you get will be hybrids. Just make sure you don't sell or give away any of these. Keep them yourself and make sure none end up going down the drain alive...

Sorry ya cross breed is what i mean... Well like i mean if you just keep in in your tank not letting it out in the wild>. and is it hard to do this?

If you want to try it - well go ahead. Try breeding a male guppy and a female molly. The fry you get will be hybrids. Just make sure you don't sell or give away any of these. Keep them yourself and make sure none end up going down the drain alive...

Very easy if you use this example. Just put a male guppy in with 2 female mollies. Make sure the mollies aren't already pregnant and you'll have hybrid fry in no time.
Or you can try a swordtail male with two female platies - even easier but the fry aren't as obviously mixed.

Other fish can be a lot more difficult - like certain cichlids (though some are incredibly easy) and gouramies.

umm...sorry but from my understanding mollies and guppies cant reproduce together -_-

They can. Mollies and guppies both belong to the genus poecilia and are very similar.
Platies and swordtails can also breed together and both are xiphophorus. Platies and swordtails are so similar, in fact, that they readily inter-breed and the offspring can be difficult to identify.
You may be reffering to platies/swordtails with guppies/mollies which doesn't work.

well i agree with Sylvia for everything she said :nod:

also if you want to breed a cichlid and make it a hybrid get a female convict and 2 severums(because severums are impossible to sex) and you'll get a Blood Parrot :nod:

found one on google:preety cool
mollyguppyhybrid.gif

I haven't got any pics myself because I haven't got a digital camera or scanner :p Well actualy, even if I did, I haven't got any pictures though I did accidentaly breed some once (they've all died now though). They are called gollies or muppies depending on whether the molly was male or female or the guppy was male/female. I can't remember which one's which though. (Kind of like mules and hinnies) ;) .

so would the one i posted above be a golly? :dunno:

DD

Either that or a muppy :p Don't know which way round it goes - depends on the parents :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back