question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

belle

Reaction score
Hi all!

I just started a 20 gal. tank-- my first tank since I was a kid. I've done tons of reading about keeping fish, and am really enjoying this!
A week ago I got my first fishes-- 4 zebra danios. Here's my questions:

1) When can I add more fish?
I want to add 3 coryadora catfish, and 1-2 gouramis (over time-- I'm just not sure which to add next and when)

2) Is that a good mix of fish? I've read that corys have to be kept in groups, and I've also seen conflicting reports about how male gouramis get along, and that's all I see at the shops here.

THANKS!!! :) :D

;) hello I have 3 male blue gouramis and 2 male dwarf gouramis all in the same tank. they get along alright. occasionaly the biggest blue gourami gets a big head and trys to run off all the other fish, but it only consists of a few laps around the tank and some body slamming. thats just my experience with them. I have however seen a tank of gouramis at a pet store where one had been completely "nibbled" at and all that was left was the body. No tail, antenae, fins... Kinda yucky. But Ive had no trouble with mine like I said. They do tend to pick at or even downright eat smalled or sickly fish, so watch out if you;ve got those danios. What I have had to do is get a smaller 10gl. tank for my docile fish and leave the aggressive guys to their own. Not cheap, but makes for happier fish. ;)
Also, on the cory's, they are great little fish! I love mine. I too have heard that they need to be kept in groups. 3-4 being the minimum that ive heard. Beware that groups of cory's should consist of the same breed/type. I have an albino, an emerald and a leapord. It took them 4ever to start grouping, and sometimes even now they wont do it. Its best to get say 3 albino's, or 3 leapords... ya kno?
Finally, I have heard that danios can be tail nippers! I just bought 3 today myself, and read about them after. :/ o well, huh? So I am going to watch out for those guys. My bettas lost their beautiful tails once already to an aggressive little dwarf puffer and are just now growing back. But anyway, I think that what you have planned sounds alright to me as long as everybody has a place to hide out (ie: plants, rocks, caves) If you see your eventual gourami's pickin on the danios, Id seperatre em, or bring back the gourami's to the store.
LAST PART I PROMISE!!!! You are technically supposed to have your tank set up for at least 1-2 weeks BEFORE you put any fish in it! I didnt do this, and we have had some struggles, but the tank has pulled through pretty well considering! :lol: Also, you're supposed to wait anywhere from 2 weeks to a month b4 adding new fish each time! I didnt do this either! Luckily we havent had any tank problem related deaths besides a tragic out break of Ich that killed off 9 tetras! :-( So I say as long as you take good care of it and keep up the proper chemicals and water changes, etc... do waht you like with you tank! Have fun! And if a couple fish should sadly happen to die, :( most fish cost less than $3 to replace. Hope you found my input helpful. Im far from proffessional, just a girl with no life and a love for fish.

Thank you for your help!!
I'm starting to think that keeping fish is a lot of educated guessing/experimenting since there are so many factors involved: fish types, fish personalities, water chemisty stuff, etc.!
I really appreciate learning from the experiences other people here have had.
It helps a bunch!!
:nod:

You need to test the water to make sure that the tank has finished cycling. During a cycle ammonia and nitrite are produced which can kill your fish. Eventually enough "good bacteria" are produced to transform the ammonia and nitrite to nitrate which is much less harmful to fish. The nitrate in turn is used by plants for growth. Normally ammonia levels go down before the nitrite and in a 20 gallon tank it shouldn't take more that two weeks. Do you have ammonia and nitrite tests? It's most important to keep track of these two. Don't add any more fish until the cycle is complete and then, only add them slowly, not too many at once. This way you're giving enough time for the tank to accomodate the new arrivals without causing ammonia and nitrite spikes again. True, most fish may not be expensive to buy, but why put them through unecessary stress, they are living breathing creatures - with just a little patience you'll have all the fishies you want. :nod:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back