Question on S. repens

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

KMW1954

Reaction score
I have some recently planted in a 36g some S. repens that were starting to do well and recently they started getting attacked by my fish, CAE and a Red Tail shark.

I would come to the tank and find what looks like plant tops floating. These are small pieces with 5 to 8 small leaves on them and not a lot of stem. Again these look like tops of plants. Some of the larger ones I tried placing back into the substrate only to watch the shark and one CAE digging them out. Those two fish have since been removed.

Question then becomes these small pieces with not much stem. If I just float them will they re-sprout roots? If so how long should it take? So far I have also tried to replant them into a small cup and keeping then submerged and not really seeing much.

Ideas, suggestions?

In my experience, yes, they will produce roots while floating. It can take a few days to weeks, depending on conditions, but it is nor that fast. One thing they don't like and would slow the process, is to be thrown about by the outflow of a filter.
I find that it helps to remove some of the lowest leaves, but this is not always possible with small pieces. Good luck!

So far a few of the pieces that I replanted seem to be doing OK and maybe even growing a slight bit. Again if I can keep them from being disturbed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back