Question On Hc (Hemianthus Callitrichoides) And Corys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mowbz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have about 6 pots worth of HC in my 80ltr, its doing ok, but its needs CO2, plan to remedy this at the weekend with either Excel or small Fluval 88 kit as a first attempt at a properly planted tank.

Ive layered the substrate to have sand on one side of the tank for the Corys. 3cm larger grain Flora Pro brown right across the bottom, further 1 cm on left half, then 2cm layer of smaller grain right across, further 2cm layer of that on the left half again, and 2cm ish of sand on the right half. Levels out both sides. All a few weeks ago.(fair play if you followed that..)

My problem is how to plant HC into the smaller grain flora pro on the left. I bought the pots about 2 weeks ago, and planted them as they were as they came from the pots. (I think this could be my first mistake having look at ps3stevo's journal..) They wouldnt stay down of course, so i ended up digging them in a little with my fingers and them using some trimmed thin strips of wood to act as "stakes" while i assumed it would root and i could remove them.

Corys are having none of it, keep snuffling under it and diggin it up. What do i do? :sad:

i am having the same problem with my shrimp. they are getting underneath it and releasing it from the substrate daily

i am having the same problem with my shrimp. they are getting underneath it and releasing it from the substrate daily

I have some wild Cherry Shrimp in this one. Ive seen them eating from underneath it, but thought it was because the Cory's were lifting it, ive never seen the shrimp digging under!

What journal was it of mine? The one with the HC lifting? Ermmm, Cuban Delight? That was me planting it stupidly really, plus shrimp digging under it, if you have a breeding colony you'll have loads under it. Problem with HC is unless you keep it a very thin layer, like 1cm thick max then it will eventually lift anyway. Mine was nearly 2inches thick in places lol. It's fine planting it in anything other than sand really too so dont worry about your substrate, should be fine. Could always plant it and then sprinkle more grains over the top to just have the leaf tips showing and it will root deeper, that's what I done with my last scape and it's spreading quick now.

Unfortunately you added the corys at the wrong time. They will carry on doing this. Do you have another tank you can swap them over to (or would the LFS you bought them at home them for a month or so for you ? Also, really you need to separate the plants from those pots into smaller clumps and replant. Good luck :)

Oops, didn't read that right, planted straight from pots, you want to cut off 2/3 of the mineral wool, then with sharp scissors cut the clump into about 6 portions and plant them about 5cm apart really,

Unfortunately you added the corys at the wrong time. They will carry on doing this. Do you have another tank you can swap them over to (or would the LFS you bought them at home them for a month or so for you ? Also, really you need to separate the plants from those pots into smaller clumps and replant. Good luck :)

Unfortunately ive had the Corys a while, and dont want to get rid of them, hence the split tank, will be part of the scape. They wet on holiday to a large asda storage bin for a weekend along with the necessaries while i did the switch.

Oops, didn't read that right, planted straight from pots, you want to cut off 2/3 of the mineral wool, then with sharp scissors cut the clump into about 6 portions and plant them about 5cm apart really,

Im not sure what the thread title was, i searched Hemianthus callitrichoides on the whole of TFF lol

Thats obviously where i went wrong, i removed all of the wool and then obviously couldn't get it to stay down, hence the stakes. Ill split it all up at the weekend and use some of the leftover small grain flora pro on top to help.

Cheers :)

Most reactions

Back