Question on filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

heatherpooreks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When do I change the filters? I have 3 cartridges and was thinking about changing 1 cartridge every two weeks to keep the good bacteria. Is that ok or should I change them all?

When do I change the filters? I have 3 cartridges and was thinking about changing 1 cartridge every two weeks to keep the good bacteria. Is that ok or should I change them all?
Just leave the one you have in. It'll last you several years before you actually have to replace.

If you use activated carbon in your filter then that will need replenishing from time to time. Otherwise everything else will last for ages.

If you have carbon in your filter I know that needs to be changed out, but the time varies depending on the grade of carbon it uses. Some filters need changing weekly, others dont need doing for a few months. Though if you don't have carbon you're best of giving the filter a swill in tank water and popping it back in just like everyone stated before me.

Though a little note on your carbon filters (if you have one) Some filters can be pulled apart and put together again. It's normally alot cheaper and more efficient to put your own carbon in the filters.

As it stands, I don't think you need any more cartridges for a while ;)

Good advice here. Don't change them; just give them a rinse and put them back in. Eventually the fluff might start to come apart, then they need to be replaced gradually. Or better yet, throw them out and replace them with a big sponge (for mechanical filtration) and ceramic biomedia. :)

Also, you don't need carbon unless you're removing medications or other organic impurities from the water. I never keep carbon in my filters for normal operation. It doesn't hurt anything; it just isn't necessary.

Depending on the size of the filter and the size of the tank and the type of cartridges and the bio load of the tank most cartridges say to change once a month.

While most cartridges say to change once per month, this is the biggest scam and worst advise you can be given in the aquarium hobby.

Most beneficial bacteria lives in your filter. By changing cartridges, you are also removing your beneficial bacteria. So many new fish keepers fall victim to this and don't understand why their fish are dying. The reality is that an ammonia spike happened after changing the filter.

Manufacturers want you to buy more of their product.

Carbon will not do anything once it is spent and should be replaced often. As mentioned, you do not need it.

Also just to add, if your filter tanks cartridges, you can cut a sponge to size and fit it into your filter.

Sponges are much more effective, have more surface area, do not waste space inside the filter, and also will last forever.

As always, rinse and clean filter media as needed in a bucket of tank water.

I have sponges in my tank over 15 years old and they haven't been any less effective since originally established.

I only use carbon filters to remove medication from the tank when it is done. I replaced all carbon filters with more sponge or just use sponge filters in my tanks. Like @Metalhead88 stated it is a scam to get you to buy expensive filters that really do very little once your tank is cycled. Buy live plants instead they will do a lot more for your water chemistry than carbon filters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back