Question on Cory eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Velimor

Reaction score
Couple days ago the corys started laying eggs on the glass. I just got back into fish keeping a few months ago so I'm sort of re learning a bit as I go. I went and got a little breeder box for them. They are currently brown with a little black spot in them (so I think they're doing ok?) My concern is 1. They'll be so small they will be able to fit through the little slits in the box 2. What to do if/when they hatch? Get a small selerate tank for them? What temp should that be, what to feed them? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    916 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 161
Yes the fry after hatching will easily pass through the slits. I used one of those net-type breeding boxes, I'll attach a photo of a couple types. This lets water move through but is too fine for any eggs or fish.

I hung this in the front right corner of the tank in which the cories had spawned. That solves any water parameter/condition issues. Obviously you need to provide food when the fry are hatched and free swimming. I stuffed mine with dried oak leaves that I collect in my back garden every autumn. You can buy Indian almond leaves in some fish stores. Beech and maple leaves are also safe. Dead leaves produce infusoria, a first food for all fish fry. I also put in a couple of shrimp pellets and the two fry I had rescued (eggs were rescued and hatched in this box) obviously learned to eat the shrimp as they grew. Small bits of wood and plants like java moss are also good in the box as these also have microscopic "food" on them.

This works for just a very few fry. If you have a major spawning you might want to look at fry foods available in fish stores. But infusoria is still the absolute best first food. And it is now known that fry in water with dried leaves do develop considerably faster.

Byron.

Attachments

• fry net 1a.jpg
    fry net 1a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 238
  • fry net 1b.jpg
    fry net 1b.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 170
Thank you, Byron! I'll go grab one of the fry nets as soon as I can. Have an oak tree in the yard, so I'll go see if I can gather up some dried leaves!

Thank you, Byron! I'll go grab one of the fry nets as soon as I can. Have an oak tree in the yard, so I'll go see if I can gather up some dried leaves!

On the leaves, you want to collect those that have fallen from the tree so they are completely dead and dry. I just lay them out to dry off externally before bagging them for storage, but you can rinse them off if you like. Don't collect any with bird droppings. The main thing is that the leaf must be dead dry so don't pick growing leaves.

Went and got the fry net and those Indian leaves just in time apparently. Put the eggs in the net and they started hatching!

Couple days ago the corys started laying eggs on the glass. I just got back into fish keeping a few months ago so I'm sort of re learning a bit as I go. I went and got a little breeder box for them. They are currently brown with a little black spot in them (so I think they're doing ok?) My concern is 1. They'll be so small they will be able to fit through the little slits in the box 2. What to do if/when they hatch? Get a small selerate tank for them? What temp should that be, what to feed them? Thanks!
Hello, nice eggs.

I usually put the eggs in a separate tank or a plastic barrel with a inner pump. Before i used a box like yours but they escaped as soon as they hatched. Then probably got stuck in the filter and i lost a lot of young ones.

After they hatch i grind the ordinary food (shrimp tablets etc) to a fine power, this method is cheap and has worked for me a couple of times. Good luck :)

Sorry for the bad spelling, I'm from Sweden.

Cory are really easy to rear if eggs in their own tank. Once they hatch and once egg sack used I feed a powder fry food then as they get bigger crush a catfich pellet with regular small water changes and they soon become mini adults.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back