Question on changing HOB filter brand

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eryoung2k

Reaction score
Hello,
Ok I have been using a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon Tropical Community planted fish tank. I am not to happy with it as the mechanical Filter pad has needed to be replaced 3 times in the 2 Months i've had the tank setup (yeah rinsed it in a small bucket of tank water, didn't help) . I did a fish in cycle with 6 Zebra Danios (only lost 1 in the first week) I have 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Cory cats, 3 Ottos. Amonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5, PH 6.8 (measured with API Master Test Kit) I'm thinking of changing to a SeaChem Tidal 55 filter. I'm worried about losing my Benificial Bacteria (i removed the Carbon after 3 days of tank being set up and put Bio Balls in its place in the Fluval C3. How can I safely change filters? Or even should I change filters? Just not happy with having to keep changing the mechanical filter pads. I see it being expensive in the long run.

Attachments

• 20210622_164422.jpg
    20210622_164422.jpg
    350.8 KB · Views: 41
Hey there :)
Eheim© is my very favorite (german) brand. I dunno if you can get it in USA, maybe Amazon.

"Back in the day" I ran Eheim Canister's, thought it would be to much for a small 29 gallon tank. My question is safely changing filters not to disturbing the beneficial bacteria to much and ruin my cycled tank.

There are many different size ;)
If you want/need to keep beneficial bacteria it's enough to deep the new media 3-4 weeks in tank to let them colonize filter ;)

Hello,
Ok I have been using a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon Tropical Community planted fish tank. I am not to happy with it as the mechanical Filter pad has needed to be replaced 3 times in the 2 Months i've had the tank setup (yeah rinsed it in a small bucket of tank water, didn't help) . I did a fish in cycle with 6 Zebra Danios (only lost 1 in the first week) I have 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Cory cats, 3 Ottos. Amonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 5, PH 6.8 (measured with API Master Test Kit) I'm thinking of changing to a SeaChem Tidal 55 filter. I'm worried about losing my Benificial Bacteria (i removed the Carbon after 3 days of tank being set up and put Bio Balls in its place in the Fluval C3. How can I safely change filters? Or even should I change filters? Just not happy with having to keep changing the mechanical filter pads. I see it being expensive in the long run.
I am using Fluval C4 , on changing the pads and filters I never use Fluvals ... find other pads or sponges that can be cut out ... lots selling in Hardware and DIY that you can fit in nicely ... besides ... its way cheaper in comparison .

Do you feed your tank heavily that makes your filter pads needs to be changed frequently ? Mine last around a year before I completely need to change because of worn out and such.

I am using Fluval C4 , on changing the pads and filters I never use Fluvals ... find other pads or sponges that can be cut out ... lots selling in Hardware and DIY that you can fit in nicely ... besides ... its way cheaper in comparison .

Do you feed your tank heavily that makes your filter pads needs to be changed frequently ? Mine last around a year before I completely need to change because of worn out and such.
I only feed my fish once a day, switch it up with tetra flakes and Xtreme Krill flakes and just a couple very small bug bites bottom feeder pellets for the corry cats.

You can run the two filters side by side for about two months, then put the bio balls from the C3 to the Tidal. I am personally very happy with my Tidal 55. I have mine on a 55 gallon tank.

You can run the two filters side by side for about two months, then put the bio balls from the C3 to the Tidal. I am personally very happy with my Tidal 55. I have mine on a 55 gallon tank.
Thank you thats exactly what I will do! I will save the C3 for a emergency filter if needed after a couple months until after the Tidal 55 is seeded.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back