**Question of the week** | What is your favorite aquarium plant, and why?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
We all love planted tanks, I know I do! There are so many aquatic plants out there, it would be impossible to easily name them all.
View attachment 135949
——-

So the question is: What is your favorite aquarium plant, and why?

You may choose a plant that you don’t keep or one that you do keep! It can expert, beginner, big, small, or tall.

—-

I’ll go first:

Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)
View attachment 135950
(https://azgardens.com/product/baby-tears-hemianthus-callitrichoides-potted/)
Java fern, just too easy to grow and works with pretty much all fish.

Do any of you have an odor problem in a planted tank?

I just did a water changes on my elodea tank and it smells like a rotten egg, I almost threw up :sick:
I wash my hands a couple time and the smell still stuck on my hands.

I just did a water changes on my elodea tank and it smells like a rotten egg, I almost threw up :sick:
A rotten egg small usually indicates rotting organic matter, or food.

Weekly water changes and substrate vacuums should get rid of that in the future.

The only thing that smells were elodea, surprisingly the water doesn't smell, weird.

It must be that the plants absorb various things cause, there's no filter in that tank and is a Walstad method...

The only thing that smells were elodea, surprisingly the water doesn't smell, weird.

It must be that the plants absorb various things cause, there's no filter in that tank and is a Walstad method...
If you collected them from the wild, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Is your Anacharis Elodea growing well?
Usually, rotten smell means your plants are dying or melting away...
If the plants are growing well, then probably they may have blue green algae(my first suspect) growing on them..
Blue green algae is a cyanobacteria and it may create rotten smell.

I've never had an egg smell, but I did have a plant die that smelled like cow manure when I removed it.

There was also no abnormal smell to the water.

If you collected them from the wild, I wouldn’t be surprised.
Nope! I bought it.
Is your Anacharis Elodea growing well?
Usually, rotten smell means your plants are dying or melting away...
If the plants are growing well, then probably they may have blue green algae(my first suspect) growing on them..
Yep, they are growing well, there are a little green algae on a glass but that shoudn't be the problem.

I just walk past the tank and it starting to smells like poop smells, is this because of anaerobic pocket thing inside the substrate?

Rotten smell should be hydrogen sulfide...
Something are rotting inside your tank.

I just walk past the tank and it starting to smells like poop smells, is this because of anaerobic pocket thing inside the substrate?
Yes, most likely, especially if you just uprooted some. Anacharis roots can get super long and they go everywhere in the tank. So when you pull one plant out, you may be pulling roots from all over the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back