**Question of the week** | What is your favorite aquarium plant, and why?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Cryptocoryne Affinis. My Biology project for my last year at high school, I grow it terrestrially and managed to get it to flower. I described it's habitat and studied it extensively. The same year I bred Severums as my animal project and studied them, A girl in my class ended up with the biology prize after studying fruit flies, it still bugs me.
Oh jeepers! I don't know whether to laugh or cry for you ?? I would have given you an A+ for sure, way more interesting than fruit flies!

My favourite plant is plastic plants ?. I keep cichlids and they eat live plants. I just about manage to keep the fake plants in place before they mess those up too.
Ah, that’s a shame! At least you get to keep super cool fish. ;)

Talking about plants, can anyone teach me how to pronounce Cryptocoryne?

Was it Crip-to-co-rie-nee or crip-to-co-rene?

I'm pretty sure it's Crypt-o-corne. (A hard C, as in "Cry-pt", but all one salable.

The Red Tiger Lotus (Nypmhaea Zenkeri)
The color variations, interesting contrast of red heart shaped leaves compared to most plants.

RTL in 55g.jpg

George Farmer says Crypto-cor-rye-nee

crypt o corin

---------------------
My favorite aquarium plant is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It grows on the surface or can be planted in the substrate. When floating it makes an ideal habitat for baby fish. It sucks out nutrients from the water, grows rapidly, and is a lighter green than most aquarium plants. Under ideal conditions the plant can reach over 2 feet in diameter x 18inches high and in a huge tank big plants resemble an alien mother ship.

My other favourite plants are narrow Vallis and twisted Vallis. They don't always do well but when they take off, they grow rapidly and a tank with a nice thick wall of Vallis along the back looks good.

My other favourite plants are narrow Vallis and twisted Vallis. They don't always do well but when they take off, they grow rapidly and a tank with a nice thick wall of Vallis along the back looks good.
Vallis are probably my second favorite. :good:

I currently keep more plant species than I do fish species, but my favourite is currently Aponogeton Madagascarensis. It's not the easiest plant for sure, but the lace leaves are beautiful in the tanks I keep it in.

Wow, too many to mention. At the moment I'm rather fascinated by dwarf clover fern (Marsilea crenata), because it is a legit rice paddy weed that is actually making a carpet in my rice paddy tank. Since I do low-tech tanks, any carpeting plant that actually works for me is a big deal. Also paddy herb (Limnophila aromatica), because it is beautiful, colorful, authentic to my biotope, dead easy to grow, and I haven't run into anybody else that uses it. It's also said to be edible, but I've never been hungry enough to eat something that comes out of my fish tank. ha ha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back