Question about stocking levels in a 120litre

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DaisyMano

Reaction score
Hi, i have a question about stocking levels for a juwel lido 120litres. I currently have 13 guppies and 1 endler guppy. Also 5 emerald green brochis corydoras. Would this be classified as fully stocked? I would have eventually liked to have gotten a red bristlenose pleco but don't want to push my limits. Currently in week 8 of cycling a new tank. Had no casualties or deaths in my tank and water levels are ok. Nitrite 0ppm, ammonia can spike to 0.25ppm but i have prime. Also doing bi weekly water changes of about 50%. Nitrate is never more than 5ppm. Ph is 6.8 to 7.0. Want to know if i should add no more or if i could add a bristlenose? Also i did change my pump from the standard eccoflow 500 to eccoflow 1000 and my fish seem happy with the flow.

Attachments

• 15969789358746968265746296286573.jpg
    15969789358746968265746296286573.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 75
Hi, i have a question about stocking levels for a juwel lido 120litres. I currently have 13 guppies and 1 endler guppy. Also 5 emerald green brochis corydoras. Would this be classified as fully stocked? I would have eventually liked to have gotten a red bristlenose pleco but don't want to push my limits. Currently in week 8 of cycling a new tank. Had no casualties or deaths in my tank and water levels are ok. Nitrite 0ppm, ammonia can spike to 0.25ppm but i have prime. Also doing bi weekly water changes of about 50%. Nitrate is never more than 5ppm. Ph is 6.8 to 7.0. Want to know if i should add no more or if i could add a bristlenose? Also i did change my pump from the standard eccoflow 500 to eccoflow 1000 and my fish seem happy with the flow.
I dony think adding a BN pleco would be overstocking having said that id suggest getting more coydora before a pleco. Corydora live in large shoals and do better in large groups in tanks as well. While 5 is nice adding a few more would be of value to the corys.

I dony think adding a BN pleco would be overstocking having said that id suggest getting more coydora before a pleco. Corydora live in large shoals and do better in large groups in tanks as well. While 5 is nice adding a few more would be of value to the corys.
I would be tempted to get 2 more Emerald Green Brochis Corydoras and that would make it 7. Just hoping to add a bristlenose in the coming weeks maybe end of August. Are there any cons to having a bristlenose? Thanks

Narrow tanks cannot be stocked the same as wide tanks of the same volume. The Lido is almost a cube; its footprint is just 61 x 41 cm (24 x 16 inches) although its volume is 120 litres/31 gallons. It's not really big enough for Corydoras splendens (used to be emerald brochis) nor bristlenoses, I'm afraid.

I would be tempted to get 2 more Emerald Green Brochis Corydoras and that would make it 7. Just hoping to add a bristlenose in the coming weeks maybe end of August. Are there any cons to having a bristlenose? Thanks
As all plecos theyre dirty fish as they expel alot of waste. If one wants one for algae eating they dont eat a ton and need wood to munch on and supplement with veggies as well. If one wants one just because theyre cool then yeah i think they are cool as well and they are still messy dirty fish so buyer beware. Having said that your corydora are bottom fish and so are BN pleco so the bottom could get crowded especially since plecos are territorial.

Yh that also puts me off regarding the amount of waste that could be expelled. If i don't have an algae eater in the tank, does this impact me at all?

Yh that also puts me off regarding the amount of waste that could be expelled. If i don't have an algae eater in the tank, does this impact me at all?
Not really. If one is worried about algae snails do an excellent job of algae management. I always suggest nerite snails as they eat alot of algae and dont reprodruce in freshwater. If ones water allows for they are effective algae management.

I agree with @utahfish get some nerite snails instead, I have them in all my tanks and they do a good job compared to plecos. I had one pleco that grew to 13 inches long but was the laziest fish I ever had and did very little but dirty up my tank. He did look cool but for your tank I would not buy one. Your tank looks very good, I love the tree roots. One suggestion would be to add some live plants to improve your water quality. I may be wrong but it looks like you have mostly plastic plants. I had all plastic plants for years but since going to live plants I will not go back to plastic.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back