Question about my gourami's feelers

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

gaya

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have two blue dwarf gouramies and I noticed today on one of them that his feelers are shorter. He is the more aggressive of the two. Water specs are fine. Everyone in this tank seems super healthy. He eats like a champ, has claimed a corner of the tank and other wise seems well. I just don't understand why both of his feelers are equally smaller in length. I have noticed him chase off my smaller angel from "his area" maybe he has tried this with the bigger angel and got into a tangle when I wasn't around?
Any ideas?
thanks

It's very common for gouramies to have their 'feelers' nipped off or shortened. If you have any fish that may be tempted by them, you can be almost certain this was the cause. They will grow back in time. I can't explain their being the same length though... Are they just smaller compared to your other gourami or have they actualy been shortened somehow? If its the second, it was probably just by chance that they are still the same length. There is also the possibility that they were corroded away by bacteria, infection or bad water quality though you mentioned your tank was in good condition so its unlikely (your other gourami would also be showing symptoms, most probably, if this were the case).

I'm glad to hear that they grow back. This guy is a bit of a bully. He doesn't care how big another fish is, he'll go at it. The other fish in the tank are 2 plecs, 2 angel, neons and another dwarf gourami. The big angel has rumbled with other angels I had in the tank (who have now been removed after a series of butt whippings) but I have never noticed any of my fish bothering anyone but their own kind. thanks for the reply!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back