Question about Java Moss Prep

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Koglin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My java moss will be here today and the last couple days I've been reading about caring for it an it's various uses - but so far I haven't really come across much regarding preparation?

As a general rule I don't like just putting things straight in the tank without some kind of soak/prep. work to it beforehand.

For java moss, is there anything you guys could suggest to prepare it before putting it in?

I was thinking of letting it float in my QT or doing a quick water change and letting it sit in the old water for a couple days with one of my portable air pumps. Think if I shoved it (it's roughly a "golf ball" sized wad of moss) in a new filter media bag or some pantyhose I could float it? Or would that block the current flow too much? Thought about just poking a few holes in it's little cup and letting it float like that too (just have to watch the temp. and water movement). Just don't want it seperating like mad before I tie down to driftwood in a couple days.

Never used it like I said, it might even just be fine all wadded up after rinsing off whatever nutrient base it has with it, not sure.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Couldn't find much after searching for a bit.. everything java moss related seems to be how to plant/attach it.

Ended up doing a water change, and put the water in my bait box with a small air pump, suspended the moss in a net by bending the handle a bit and using 2 toothpicks in the styrofoam wall to hold it in place. Put my old 6" bubble wall under it to help water movement, weighed down with a rock, and put in 2 drops of flourish. Gonna keep the same light schedule as my tank I'm thinking.

Will prob. leave it like this and do a couple small water changes during the rest of the week to change the water out.

Been checking it by lightly spreading it apart a bit and staring at it with a light & magnifying glass for any hitchhikers, have been doing this off and on all day but haven't seen anything. Will keep doing this too so not worried about it trying to stick to the net..

It had a decent amount of browning leaves to it, so will clip as much of that out as I can before tying to my driftwood (I assume).

Really though if this is all unnecessary or there's a better way to go about just preserving it for a bit before putting on my driftwood, please advise! Just wanna keep it healthy but be sure there's nothing up with it I guess.

Attachments

• 20200923_173725.jpg
    20200923_173725.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 52
Id just make sure its got a little light on it and let it sit in plant quarantine.
Usually id suggest maybe a bleach dip, but I think java moss doesn't tolerate bleach dipping.

What you want to do is tie it down and MAKE SURE..you've spread it thinly as best you can. Find a driftwood if you can...that is flatish?..and spread the moss on that while tying it down with spirals of string. You want light and water flow to get to as much of the moss as possible.
I've had best luck with epiphytes on flatish rocks with some texture to it. They seem to like the extra room to attach roots to compared to a thin branch. Although the internet is full of twigs and pruned moss on it. But..thats lots of pruning and making sure water quality is highest. I've had healthy Java take a dive when I changed the routine it liked. Or added too many chemicals, epsom salts...they hate Hydrogen Peroxide. Lethal.

Thanks for the advice @NCaquatics and @Stan510 ! Really appreciated.

After a couple days, the moss itself was looking fine, but I found bladder snails roaming the bottom on the container -.-' so unfortunately, I'm not even gonna mess with it.

Went to a lfs in boulder, co today an they had an awesome plant selection, the lady didn't mind me staring through the glass with my headlamp and a magnifying glass so I got some real nice healthy pest free/spot free java moss now.

Don't think I'll be ordering live products from that buce plant website, or in general, anymore.

Put an assassin snail in your plants QT, voila no more pest snails :p

Oh? That is an idea. I'm slightly understocked at the moment even, and had thought about a nerite or 2.

Don't think I can with my tank, but I can definitely throw one in my QT. Waiting till payday to get a nano tank that will stay mostly empty I'd like to use instead of my 4 gal. bait box.

Thanks for the suggestion'

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back