question about gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mike777

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Today I'm going to a LFS to get some gouramis what kind and how many should I get? Thanks :D

i don't know much about gouramis sorry.......but i'll just put in gold honey gouramis r really pretty and very friendly plus they don't get bigger than 2 inches! :wub:

Okay, I decided and I got a Flame Gourami/ Dwarf Gourami that is orange. I dont know what gender it is can you guys tell me how to determine what gender it is. thanks :D

Hi Mike 777 :)

I'm glad to learn you got a flame dwarf gourami. Chances are that it's a male, but if you scroll down on this link you will come to a post where I explain how to tell the difference between males and females.

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...showtopic=14026

In my area, I can't seem to find a lfs that carrys females, so I haven't seen one of them to be able to describe the coloring to you, but I understand that compared to the male (flame dwarf gourami) it is quite drab.

Please let me know if this information is helpful to you and what sex your gourami is. :D

Hi Inchworm,

Yes, that was very useful information thanks a lot :thumbs:.
another question, HE is quite lazy, since I've gotten him he only moves when food is near him lol and he hides under alot of the cave things and plants I've put in there. Is this natural? Sorry for all the questions but Zebra Danios and now Gouramis are the only kind of fish I've ever had. Thanks alot for your help everyone :D :) :thumbs:

Give him a little while to adjust to his new home, Mike 777 :)

You just got him today, right? He probably thinks there are other gouramis hiding out in the bushes waiting for him to swim into their territories. In a few days he'll be right at home and acting like he owns the tank. :nod:

In general, gouramis are not the most active fish. They tend to move slowly and elegantly! :lol:

Your tank is completely cycled, isn't it?

mike777 said:
Today I'm going to a LFS to get some gouramis what kind and how many should I get? Thanks :D
Ooo Ooo Ooo! Get Paradise Gourmis! They rule! I have 2. :D :fish:

No my tank is not fully cycled yet. my tank has been running with fish in it only for about 12 days. But we set it up about 3 or 4 weeks ago with no fish like everyone here said. Please tell me if I did something wrong and If you know could you please tell me what kind of fish I can put in there in 3 or 4 weeks. Thank you so much for your help inchworm :D :) :D :) :thumbs: :thumbs:

mike777 said:
No my tank is not fully cycled yet. my tank has been running with fish in it only for about 12 days. But we set it up about 3 or 4 weeks ago with no fish like everyone here said. Please tell me if I did something wrong and If you know could you please tell me what kind of fish I can put in there in 3 or 4 weeks. Thank you so much for your help inchworm :D :) :D :) :thumbs: :thumbs:
A tank won't cycle if you just let it sit for weeks without any ammonia source like fish, chemicals, etc. You either have to add one or two fish to provide some ammonia, or, if going the fishless route, add some sort of other source of ammonia to provide "food" for the developing nitrifying bacteria.

Most reactions

Back