• The bacteria already naturally present in our tanks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

starzfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Dr. Tim's Freshwater One and Only and am trying to cycle a tank with it. How much should I dose my new 5 gal tank with the 2 oz bottle? Do I add all of it? The instructions say that it "cannot be overdosed." Does "cannot be overdosed" mean that you can add as much of it without adverse effects and it will not overdose? Or does it mean that mean if you overdose it then it will harm your fish tank? If I can add as much of it without adverse effects then I will just add the whole bottle because the bottle also says "Best to use the entire contents at one time."

Thanks.

P.S. btw, what's your favorite bottled bacteria

I would add the whole bottle.

Are you using it for a fishless or fish-in cycle? You need a source of ammonia at the same time as adding One & Only so if it's a fishless cycle, you need some ammonia or Dr Tim's ammonium chloride added to the tank when you add the One & Only.

I don't have a favourite because I've never used a bottled bacteria.

Cycling mine with ammonia. Not adding any bottled bacteria.
Doing fine following the guide on here.

IMO, bottled bacteria is a waste of $....the bacteria we need to cycle our tanks occurs naturally in our environment.

I would add the whole bottle.

Are you using it for a fishless or fish-in cycle? You need a source of ammonia at the same time as adding One & Only so if it's a fishless cycle, you need some ammonia or Dr Tim's ammonium chloride added to the tank when you add the One & Only.

I don't have a favourite because I've never used a bottled bacteria.
Ok, Thanks. I added the whole bottle.
IMO, bottled bacteria is a waste of $....the bacteria we need to cycle our tanks occurs naturally in our environment.
Haha, I knew someone would say that. But people are entitled to their opinions so I'm not gonna say anything.

Most bacterial starters don't even contain the ones that are the actual ones in the cycle.
Moat are heterotrophic bacteria that only buy time for the natural.ones to jump in.
In fact it is LPR (Liquid Patience.Replacement).
Dr.Tims and TSS do contain the right ones (same stuff) btw

Most bacterial starters don't even contain the ones that are the actual ones in the cycle.
Moat are heterotrophic bacteria that only buy time for the natural.ones to jump in.
In fact it is LPR (Liquid Patience.Replacement).
Dr.Tims and TSS do contain the right ones (same stuff) btw
Thanks my friend, did not know that, since I never use them...

When bacterial starters were first invented, they used work done on bacteria in high ammonia and nitrite water. They did not realise that different bacteria species grew at high levels and the species in aquariums were different. Then Dr Tim Havonec, working for Marineland, discovered the correct species in aquariums. He and Marineland patented or copyrighted (or whatever the correct term is) the use of these species. Marineland produced Biospira containing the correct species of bacteria - but no-one else was allowed to use these bacteria.
Marineland was taken over by Tetra, so they could use the correct bacteria in their Tetra Safe Start. Dr Tim set up his own company and was allowed to use the correct bacteria in One & Only.

I do not know if these are still the only two products using the correct bacteria species. I know that after a length of time certain time, copyright/patents/whatever it is lapse and other people are then allowed to market the product, but I have no idea whether this time has elapsed for these bacteria.

When bacterial starters were first invented, they used work done on bacteria in high ammonia and nitrite water. They did not realise that different bacteria species grew at high levels and the species in aquariums were different. Then Dr Tim Havonec, working for Marineland, discovered the correct species in aquariums. He and Marineland patented or copyrighted (or whatever the correct term is) the use of these species. Marineland produced Biospira containing the correct species of bacteria - but no-one else was allowed to use these bacteria.
Marineland was taken over by Tetra, so they could use the correct bacteria in their Tetra Safe Start. Dr Tim set up his own company and was allowed to use the correct bacteria in One & Only.

I do not know if these are still the only two products using the correct bacteria species. I know that after a length of time certain time, copyright/patents/whatever it is lapse and other people are then allowed to market the product, but I have no idea whether this time has elapsed for these bacteria.
That's correct. Not mentioning any bacteriaspecies on the other products tells a lot. So do the the marketingbased "descriptions" of the products.
As said most don't "seed" a tank or start the cycle. Those keep the levels low for a while till the natural ones take over. Perfectly usefull in case of an emergency or minicycle for instance !!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back