Question About Corydoras' Food Sizes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I recently got a 29 Walstad tank going, and so far I've only got 5 panda cories in it.  They most recent additions have been in the tank for almost two weeks now.  They spend the majority of their time sifting through the sand looking for food.  I have three types of food currently, Hikari Tropical Micro Wafers, Hikari Sinking Wafers, and New Life Spectrum All-Purpose pellets.  The Micro Wafers are about 0.5-0.75 mm in size, the NLS pellets are 1 mm, and the Hikari Sinking Wafers are about 0.5 cm.

I have tried all three foods with interesting results.  The Sinking Wafers are obviously too big to fit in the pandas' mouths, and they feel it with their barbels, try to take a bite, then leave it alone.  Even after the wafer has become very soft, the cories still leave it alone.

The NLS they seem to love, as they try and try to bite into them.  They seem denser than the Hikari foods and the cories have trouble biting them, even after 30 minutes in the water.  They are too big to fit in their mouths, but only just.  They eventually leave it alone.

Finally, the Micro Wafers fit perfectly into their mouths, and they vacuum those up nicely.  After about 10 minutes, the bottom of the tank is rid of them.

Given this, it seems they are only interested in foods that will fit in their mouths.  I have heard that the Hikari Sinking Wafers (not micro wafers) were a favorite food of many cory keepers.  What are your experiences?

I have also tried frozen and live bloodworms.  They seemed entirely uninterested in the live worms, and they tried to eat the frozen worms, but spit them out.  I know they are supposed to like bloodworms, thus I find this very strange.

Thanks for reading!  For your time, here's a short clip of the first pandas I put in after establishing the tank.
[media]http://youtu.be/khzzznqURso[/media]

I feed hikari wafers and semi-sinking minipellets--they must be eating because they're healthy

All fish are picky on foods depending what they were fed before you got them. I had catfish balls that were bigger than there mouth but they still nibbled on them which is fine cause there still eating it :p

Mine love tetra tabimin, it softens quickly & they hoover it up, also try live or frozen cyclops, daphnia, bbs

I never seen mine eat anything but frozen daphnia, and probably some new life spectrum

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back