question about angels

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

terrorist_124

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i want to get a few angels.
are they ok with apistos and rams?
how big do they have to be before they eat neons an other tetras?what age?
are they peaceful enough to be in a community tank?

thanks in advance :D

i have never kept angels but from what i've heard..here are the answers..

are they ok with apistos and rams?
yes

how big do they have to be before they eat neons an other tetras?what age?
varies from fish to fish...some can try to eat them from the time they are the size of a dime, some never touch them...rule of thumb is to generally not keep angels with anything that will fit in it's mouth when it is larger

are they peaceful enough to be in a community tank?

in general, yes...but a breeding pair of angels can stress other angels and community fish to hell...they may nip the fins of long finned fish such as guppies/bettas also

hope others will fill in w/ any more info, since i will be getting some angels in a couple weeks for my large community tank

rule of thumb is to generally not keep angels with anything that will fit in it's mouth when it is larger
In case you're wondering why it's because a fish can spot a predetor even if it isn't big enough to eat them yet. It causes stress to the neons and in turn poses a danger to the tank as a whole.

will juvinille angels be ok with aduld harlequin rasboras?
will the angels be ok with jumbo neons?

thanks every1

terrorist_124 said:
will juvinille angels be ok with aduld harlequin rasboras?
will they be ok with jumbo neons?

thanks every1
Harlequins usually stick with their own kind. It shouldn't be a problem.

I have 4 angels with my lutino neons and yes they do try to eat the neons; however the tank is 62 gallon and heavily planted allowing for great escapes by the neons. Touch wood I've not lost a neon to an angel yet.

You may take that as you wish, whether it is safe or not for you to have angels and neons together.

thanks wolf,
i think i'll try it , my tank is between 60 and 65g and it's planted.

what about harlequin rasboras?

adult harliquins are quite large in comparrison to neons, so I'd say no problem at all with them.

terrorist_124 said:
leafs , i don't think you understood the question
will the neons be ok to keep with angels? :)

nobody else? :/
You asked if Juvinille Angels get along with Harlequins. What am I not understanding?? :huh:

Before I turned to cichlid only tank I had a marble and zebra say 3" tip to tip and they nether botherd the neons.

I have 4 angels and 6 neons and there isnt any conflict not even fin nipping as i have seen yet.

This subject comes up all the time, and even tho the technical answer is no, many people have succsessfuly kept angels and tetras together and many have failed; it all depends on the situation and bit of luck.

Your NOT supposed to rob banks, but people have and people have got away with it. But people have been caught too.

He who dares my son....he who dares.

i think i'll go for it.
either i have a happy comminity :D
or my angels get a buffet :fun:

I think sometimes the point is missed.

Angel is a predetor.
Neon is a prey.
When prey is kept with predetor, even if predetor is too small to eat prey, stress levels rise.
The larger the angels get, to more stressed the neons will become.
The stress of the neons may result in disease in the tank before the Angel is big enough to eat them. Maybe not. With so many appropriate fish out there I don't see the point of the risk, but to each his own.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back