Queen Arabesque Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jaylach

Supporting Member
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hypancistrus sp

I've posted enough for people to know more about my tank than they probably want but here we go again... ;)

This is not an immediate decision as I need to find a home for the common pleco I got stuck with before adding much more. The common is already 4.5-5 inches long and I just have a 20 gallon cube.

My natural PH is 6.0-6.2 and has not varied in a month. so should be fine for this critter. Water temperature is kept at 81 F which is at the higher level but within range.

Other tenants:
6 Black Skirt tetras
6 "miniature" corys.

Would this be a good choice once I find a home for my common?

Just to be sure that I have the name right...
queen pleco.jpg

I think I found my pleco! :) And it is local.

Hypancistrus sp L262 Stardust Pleco​

Max size is advertised at 3.5-4 inches and my ~6.1 PH and tank temperature of 81 F and, with my fake tree trunk, there are plenty of 'cave' sources. The tank conditions are perfect for this critter as far as I see. The critter also likes a current of which I have plenty and high oxygen levels... actually just got air valves to cut down the under gravel riser's air flow. Currently I have so much flow that I can see minute bubbles suspended in the water.

I won't even need to pay shipping as this would be from a fish warehouse right next to my apartments. I also used their site's contact form to see if they could help me re-home the common pleco I got stuck with. I won't buy this $60.00 USD fish from them without their helping with re-homing.

I DO wonder if I should get one or two, I figure 1 just due to tank size (20 gallon cube) as there are plenty of cave areas in the tree trunk thing for territories.

Here is the local warehouse sale page.

I think I found my pleco! :) And it is local.

Hypancistrus sp L262 Stardust Pleco​

Max size is advertised at 3.5-4 inches and my ~6.1 PH and tank temperature of 81 F and, with my fake tree trunk, there are plenty of 'cave' sources. The tank conditions are perfect for this critter as far as I see. The critter also likes a current of which I have plenty and high oxygen levels... actually just got air valves to cut down the under gravel riser's air flow. Currently I have so much flow that I can see minute bubbles suspended in the water.

I won't even need to pay shipping as this would be from a fish warehouse right next to my apartments. I also used their site's contact form to see if they could help me re-home the common pleco I got stuck with. I won't buy this $60.00 USD fish from them without their helping with re-homing.

I DO wonder if I should get one or two, I figure 1 just due to tank size (20 gallon cube) as there are plenty of cave areas in the tree trunk thing for territories.

Here is the local warehouse sale page.
Lovely! I can't speak to adult size/suitabilty for a 20g cube, but make sure to look up what markings they have as an adult, since that can change a lot between juvenile colours/markings and adult. I discovered when I got my L183/L181 plecos

Lovely! I can't speak to adult size/suitabilty for a 20g cube, but make sure to look up what markings they have as an adult, since that can change a lot between juvenile colours/markings and adult. I discovered when I got my L183/L181 plecos
From what I've read a 20 gallon cube should be fine for on of the critters but may be/is probably questionable for two. Unless I'm reading wrong they seem to be OK solo.

Looking at images they DO show varied color variations along with 'dot size'.

From what I've read a 20 gallon cube should be fine for on of the critters but may be/is probably questionable for two. Unless I'm reading wrong they seem to be OK solo.

Looking at images they DO show varied color variations along with 'dot size'.

Yeah, I thought mine were L183 Starlight plecos (were sold as those) but turned out to be L181 plecs. They look the same as juveniles, both have white spots and white edges to their tail and dorsal fins. But when L183 mature, they keep the white seams to their fins, spots fade a lot, while L181 keep the white dots, lose the seam. So if you're really attached to the look of the fish in sales pics, double check what features they keep as adults, to be safe!

Yeah, I thought mine were L183 Starlight plecos (were sold as those) but turned out to be L181 plecs. They look the same as juveniles, both have white spots and white edges to their tail and dorsal fins. But when L183 mature, they keep the white seams to their fins, spots fade a lot, while L181 keep the white dots, lose the seam. So if you're really attached to the look of the fish in sales pics, double check what features they keep as adults, to be safe!
Ya, they are quite similar. in appearance. I also think that the L262 is smaller than the L181 and L183 with the L262 being of a max. size of 3.5-4.0 inches.

The local outfit I'd be using is VERY reputable and next door and includes a fairly wide range of info which can be seen on the sale page I posted earlier. I've talked with their people and feel confident that they will give good info. I just hope that they will take the common pleco off my hands...

Another concern that makes me think that I could probably have only one of these plecos is that I also LOVE to have a couple of Laetacara Dorsigera, if I can ever find, which would give me 3 4 inch fish in a 20 gallon cube or 4 4 inch fish if I got 2 plecos. Even though I'm pushing a LOT of air and using sponge/ceramic built in 93 GPH filtration and Under gravel I think I'd be pushing the envelope with 2 plecos as there are also 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 5 'miniature' corys and an albino cory.

Found a home for the common pleco and got the L262 Stardust. :) The new pleco is smaller than expected as I was seeing 2.5-3 inches on the seller's site and what I got is about an inch. It is hiding inside the fake tree trunk which might as well be caves but that is to be expected as it would be stressed by the move and new environment. I got sinking wafers for the critter that contains protein as they are omnivorous. Since the thing is so small I'm just using a small portion of the wafers. Wouldn't ya know it; the corys like the stuff and attacked the wafer and it was gone in a heartbeat. I dropped another small piece inside the tree trunk so the little critter would have a chance to get to it. I also intend to get small sinking pellets of brine shrimp and blood worms but the store was out of both.

I was worried as there was a day overlap between getting rid of the common pleco and getting this one and was worried that the common might hurt it but the common is now gone and the little critter is fine.

As to the seller they, of course, take reviews. I gave them a 4 out of five even though they were more than helpful. The reason that I only gave a four is that I feel a description MUST match what you get. They advertised 2.5-3 inches and what I got woud probably need to stretch to be an inch. If I had different fish and a lack of hiding places that could have been fatal. I'm sure that it was probably just an oversight on their part but, when dealing with selling live critters, you can't have an oversight.

Found a home for the common pleco and got the L262 Stardust. :) The new pleco is smaller than expected as I was seeing 2.5-3 inches on the seller's site and what I got is about an inch. It is hiding inside the fake tree trunk which might as well be caves but that is to be expected as it would be stressed by the move and new environment. I got sinking wafers for the critter that contains protein as they are omnivorous. Since the thing is so small I'm just using a small portion of the wafers. Wouldn't ya know it; the corys like the stuff and attacked the wafer and it was gone in a heartbeat. I dropped another small piece inside the tree trunk so the little critter would have a chance to get to it. I also intend to get small sinking pellets of brine shrimp and blood worms but the store was out of both.

I was worried as there was a day overlap between getting rid of the common pleco and getting this one and was worried that the common might hurt it but the common is now gone and the little critter is fine.

As to the seller they, of course, take reviews. I gave them a 4 out of five even though they were more than helpful. The reason that I only gave a four is that I feel a description MUST match what you get. They advertised 2.5-3 inches and what I got woud probably need to stretch to be an inch. If I had different fish and a lack of hiding places that could have been fatal. I'm sure that it was probably just an oversight on their part but, when dealing with selling live critters, you can't have an oversight.
l262’s are lovely Plecs. Sites often claim certain sizes but when it comes down to it if they will pick the ones they have left. Only was is to go to a breeder and select your own.

l262’s are lovely Plecs. Sites often claim certain sizes but when it comes down to it if they will pick the ones they have left. Only was is to go to a breeder and select your own.
LOL! Good luck on finding a local breeder in rural Sheridan Wyoming. ;) The outfit that I got the Stardust is about as close as it comes here. While they don't do a lot of their own breeding they do deal with like 50 'out of house' breeders. They are a mail order warehouse. Actually sort of handy to have them right next to my apartment.

They actually contacted me and thanked for pointing out the flaw in the size description. As suspected it was an oversight and has been corrected.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back