Quarentine Tank Filtration

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1234-fishy-freind

Fish Addict
Reaction score
When we purchase new fish it is reccomended that we quarentine new fish purchases for a minimum of around 4 weeks to check the fish are eating well and so if any diseases arise, they can be treated with much greater ease. But how do you go about filtering a quarentine tank? You obviously cant put live rock in there incase a copper based medication is needed.
Previously, I would just run a small internal filter in my main tank then put it in the Q tank when I needed it but it was never very effective, I always experienced a mini cycle.
Are there any other methods? Or shall I just stick with the one Ive got and make frequent water changes during the mini cycle period?
Josh

ive always just had a spare setup, bare bottom with an external filter and maybe a powerhead depending on tank size.
lighting isnt a key issue because you can use standard flourescant tubes for fish.

for hiding spots to give the fish some security i just use either tufa rock or some grotto rock. either is cheap and if copper treatment is needed, you can cheaply replace it.
although recently ive tended to use grotto rock over tufa, as tufa is much more porous

Yeah an internal/canister filter that is run in the main tank until needed is the best way to do it. Might also want to use something like amolock or polyfilter which helps remove ammonia (think polyfilter can remove medications as well so dont use if you need to medicate the fish).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back