Quarantining this goldfish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I have a koi pond, and my mom added a few goldfish. One of the goldfish had a swim bladder issue when she got it, so she figured she would just give it some peas or something for a few days and it would get better (thatā€™s what the pet store employee told her to do :/ ) so we brought it home, my mom put it in the pond, but now the fish hardly moves and started either getting picked on by the other koi and goldfish or has fin rot, so now itā€™s quarantined inside. I donā€™t really know what to do, Iā€™ve never had goldfish before, but I put some sand in my 10 gallon tank, set up the filter with some media from my established 55 gallon tank, planted my largest amazon sword, and gave her a little tea cup to hide in if she wanted. Iā€™ve been feeding her thawed peas, keeping her water clean, and just in general keeping her environment as peaceful as possible. By the way her name is Boop. What else should I be doing?

D177812D-9A03-4D12-8E35-2CFBBEC5FEBA.jpeg

What symptoms does the fish have?
If it floats up when it stops swimming, it could have air in its intestine and when it farts the air out, it should be able to swim normally. To test this, do not feed the fish any dry food for 1 week. Just give it frozen or live foods and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then the problem is dry food putting air into the fish's digestive tract and you should minimise the dry food.

Short bodied fish like fantail goldfish have their guts and internal organs squished up and this makes it harder for them to digest food and regulate buoyancy. Dry foods make this worse because of the air in the food.

What symptoms does the fish have?
If it floats up when it stops swimming, it could have air in its intestine and when it farts the air out, it should be able to swim normally. To test this, do not feed the fish any dry food for 1 week. Just give it frozen or live foods and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then the problem is dry food putting air into the fish's digestive tract and you should minimise the dry food.

Short bodied fish like fantail goldfish have their guts and internal organs squished up and this makes it harder for them to digest food and regulate buoyancy. Dry foods make this worse because of the air in the food.
Ok! I have frozen food in the freezer, so I will give her some of that. Her fins are a little frayed, I think sheā€™s either been picked on or has fin rot, but it looks more like sheā€™s been picked on. The water parameters are fine also. She kinda bobs up a little bit, but its not as bad today as it was two days ago!

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality that allows bad bacteria into the damaged tissue. The easiest way to treat it is by doing big (75%) water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for 2 weeks, and adding some salt (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20litres of water). keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.

Fin rot is caused by poor water quality that allows bad bacteria into the damaged tissue. The easiest way to treat it is by doing big (75%) water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for 2 weeks, and adding some salt (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20litres of water). keep salt in tank for 2 weeks.
Ok! I put some salt in like 20 minutes ago. If it is fin rot, I think it was likely from the water quality of her tank at the store, as ou4 pond is fully cycled amd all the parameters are good

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back