Quarantining Kuhli Loaches (and other loach stuff)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I will just mention that I approach the quarantine tank concept a bit differently than many (perhaps most) aquarists might. I keep a small tank permanently running, with a fairly shallow sand substrate (I have a lot of cories and this really made a difference in settling new fish) and a couple chunks of bogwood for shelter. And it is planted, especially with floating plants--the surface is thick with Water Sprite. This not only means you never have cycling issues (thanks to the plants), but the tank quickly becomes "established" so new fish acquisitions are immediately in an environment that is exactly what they need. And all fish will settle in faster when this can be provided.
hey thats cool, i keep a similar quarantine tank, a constantly running aquarium with a bit of sand and small rounded rocks (more for the surface area than for anything else with some stem plants, aquaiums safe wood and sticks and some salvinia and water lettuce

I would get a clear 5g plastic tub (tote) with a very thin layer of sand. (I mean really thin, so they can’t bury themselves completely) Also make sure to get a sponge filter and heater.

Having a sand-less QT tank really isn’t fair to them, because they require sand.

——

I agree with @GuppyBreeder180604 on the numbers. 6 is the number of fish we usually recommend for beginners, but I always stock 8+. I learned how important this was, especially after getting my 8 False Julii Corydoras. When I just had 4, they sort of split off into tiny groups. When I added the other 4 however, they all started swimming together and overall seemed more happy.

I will just mention that I approach the quarantine tank concept a bit differently than many (perhaps most) aquarists might. I keep a small tank permanently running, with a fairly shallow sand substrate (I have a lot of cories and this really made a difference in settling new fish) and a couple chunks of bogwood for shelter. And it is planted, especially with floating plants--the surface is thick with Water Sprite. This not only means you never have cycling issues (thanks to the plants), but the tank quickly becomes "established" so new fish acquisitions are immediately in an environment that is exactly what they need. And all fish will settle in faster when this can be provided.
This is how I'm planning to have mine, actually.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back