Quarantine plants?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
In my last ditch attempt at having a planted tank despite the attempt of my fish eating them and uprooting them I have ordered what is called a biotope bundle according to the shop , itā€™s 50 plants picked at random from an area of your choosing I opted for South America, after reading the description itā€™s 50 single strand plants so yeah not the instant biotope look but owel I already bought them lol and if the random selection is good could still be ok for the money but knowing my luck il recive 50 single leaves of Amazon swords , question being is I donā€™t want snails !!! And intrducing 50 plants in one go I feel like Iā€™m asking for them , I also feel like there might be worse than snails on these plants , does anybody quarantine plants or itā€™s that just jokes

I've seen plants be dipped on YouTube, I've never tried it myself so cannot advise. King of D.I.Y has a tutorial on his YouTube channel though. Search it and check it out

I've seen plants be dipped on YouTube, I've never tried it myself so cannot advise. King of D.I.Y has a tutorial on his YouTube channel though. Search it and check it out
They company says they have been treated but they cannot 100% guarantee tht no snails or parasites will be passed over , il give the video a watch cheers

In my last ditch attempt at having a planted tank despite the attempt of my fish eating them and uprooting them I have ordered what is called a biotope bundle according to the shop , itā€™s 50 plants picked at random from an area of your choosing I opted for South America, after reading the description itā€™s 50 single strand plants so yeah not the instant biotope look but owel I already bought them lol and if the random selection is good could still be ok for the money but knowing my luck il recive 50 single leaves of Amazon swords , question being is I donā€™t want snails !!! And intrducing 50 plants in one go I feel like Iā€™m asking for them , I also feel like there might be worse than snails on these plants , does anybody quarantine plants or itā€™s that just jokes
Is it this one?
If so, thats the one I got and my shrimp are fine.
The amazon sword that came with it was Echinodorus Impai, and turned to be massive. Recently removed it from my 200l tank as it was taking over

Is it this one?
If so, thats the one I got and my shrimp are fine.
The amazon sword that came with it was Echinodorus Impai, and turned to be massive. Recently removed it from my 200l tank as it was taking over
Very very similar but not from the same company , they are called biotope aquatics ltd they trade via Amazon and eBay have some good reviews unfairness to them , I wanted a random mix to try and find some plants my severum wonā€™t destroy lol I honestly donā€™t expect much from the plants just wary of bad things on them

Any idea what the plants have been treated with?

Did they give you a list of the plants you might be getting?
I don't think there are 50 true aquatic plants in the Amazon.

I like to quarantine new plants for a few weeks. If you don't want to then at least put them in a bucket of tap water for 24 hours and see what crawls off them.

If the plants are kept in plant only tanks (without fish in and not connect to tanks with fish in) then diseases aren't usually a problem and you just have to worry about snails, leeches and other creepy crawlies that can cause problems to fish.

Any idea what the plants have been treated with?

Did they give you a list of the plants you might be getting?
I don't think there are 50 true aquatic plants in the Amazon.

I like to quarantine new plants for a few weeks. If you don't want to then at least put them in a bucket of tap water for 24 hours and see what crawls off them.

If the plants are kept in plant only tanks (without fish in and not connect to tanks with fish in) then diseases aren't usually a problem and you just have to worry about snails, leeches and other creepy crawlies that can cause problems to fish.
It just says a strong alkaline substance and Iā€™m assuming itā€™s multiple of different types rather than all individuals

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back