Quarantine disaster

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gloworm34

Reaction score
What did I do wrong? I got some hygrophila, Java fern, blyxa, tiger lotus, and Christmas moss. I sterilized them in bleach then put them in a small (10 cup) glass quarantine container with RO water and added some liquid fertilizer and CO2, put it by the window. Full water changes daily. After 5 days, my hygrophila and tiger lotus had lost most their leaves, rotting. Blyxa is looking somewhat wilted, moss is no longer green. Java fern is fine. Do I need substrate for a quarantine tank? could there be disease? They just look rotted like they couldn’t survive in my tiny container.

How long did you have them in bleach for?
You normally use bleach for 1-2 minutes followed by a good rinse under tap water. Too much time in bleach will dissolve them and cause the cell walls to rupture, killing the plants.

You don't need to bleach plants unless they come from a tank that has fish TB or the gourami Iridovirus.

You don't need to change the water every day in the quarantine tank. A weekly water change is heaps especially if there are only plants in there.

The main reason for quarantining plants is to check them for pest snails, hydra, planaria and a few other insects or insect larvae.

After a couple of weeks in quarantine they should be free of any fish diseases they might have picked up at the shop, and any snails and other pests should have been spotted and removed.

I agree with above.
You also need to be careful about how much bleach you are using. Usually peroxide works well without having the affects bleach does.

I'm with bleach as the killer. It doesn't even handle Mycobacter/fish tb, which survives it. How it does with Iridovirus, I don't know. But I have never bleached a plant and won't be starting anytime soon. The only things I ever brought in with plants were Hydra and snails.

liquid bleach is sodium hypochlorite
swimming pool chlorine granules are calcium hypochlorite

both are a type of chlorine and the fumes can kill living things. If the fumes don't kill you, they can cause permanent damage to the sinuses, lungs and throat. hence the need for protective equipment when using them.

liquid bleach is sodium hypochlorite
swimming pool chlorine granules are calcium hypochlorite

both are a type of chlorine and the fumes can kill living things. If the fumes don't kill you, they can cause permanent damage to the sinuses, lungs and throat. hence the need for protective equipment when using them.
I've sucked up so much I don't know what will happen in the next 20yrs lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back