Quarantine/breeding tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beastije

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys, I need to know your setup of quarantine tanks. I do not need a quarantine at the moment nor do I plan buying new fish in near future, but with the already pruchased final fish coming on monday, if one would be sick, I have no place except 3l bottle or a bucket, where to apply medicine, if I didnt want to go whole tank (and with snails and shrimp I do not want that).
Though all my fish are small, 5cm is max size I think, so in theory a 10l should be enough, I would like this tank to perhaps one day be a breeding tank for either tetra or corydoras or hatchetfish or whatever, if it will work, so the size should be 20l

However I do not see myself running an empty tank without light, or with light and some plants, filter and no substrate. I can so see myself putting some snail or something in there, and maybe this small thing to be perhaps moved later or so...so that would be like a normal tank, except could be turned into a quarantine/health/breeding tank.

Is that feeisible approach? how do you do it? or do you keep like a plastic box/empty fishtank at home and have a spare sponge in one of your running tunks to be used at a moments notice?

This describes my set-up of my own 10 gallon 'Quarantine Tank'.

Like yourself, it's highly unlikely that once the ladies have joined their male, I'll be keeping this tank empty and it'll cease to be a Quarantine tank.
Should I really need such a thing, I have a large plastic storage box I can press into service, using spare equipment I have and plants from my established tanks.

I have a 30l tank which is used as fry storage and when no fry it’s a treatments tank , honestly I don’t quarantine fish I buy from the same person everytime and never had an issue as he imports they are quarantined during transport and the again before sale , I keep a small amount of sponges cycled just wedged behind some wood in my main tank to put into a small filter if I ever need the small tank , if the fish is sick and needs treatments I doubt it’s going to be eating and creating lots of waste so a small amount of beneficial bacteria should sustain the tank for a while other than that it’s a quick set up small heater that’s it can be put up and down in a minute

40 litre tank (2 foot long). I have also used plastic storage containers.
A thin layer of brown gravel on bottom of tank.
Spare air operated filter running in other tank/s and used when new fish go into quarantine tank.
Spare heater for quarantine tank.
Plastic plants, pvc pipe or ceramic caves (flower pots) for cover.
A picture on the outside on the back of the tank.
And a coverglass to stop them jumping out.

If I got new fish, I would fill the quarantine tank with water from another tank and add an established filter from one of the tanks. Get the heater going and let the tank run for a day or two before getting the new fish.

The new fish spend the first month in the quarantine tank and are treated for intestinal worms and gill flukes while in quarantine. If all goes well, they are moved to their new tank after the 4 weeks in quarantine. If a fish dies in quarantine, the 4 week period starts again after the fish has died.

When the tank is not being used, it is washed out and left to dry. The filter is washed in tap water and put in a tank to re-establish the filter bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back