QT tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
About time I got a quarantine tank. Want to avoid another parasite problem :). Anyways, I was thinking a 10 gallon, but I also am getting a pair of apistos and I'm worried it would be too small. I added some media in my filter so I can instantly cycle the new tank, and I'll probably end up turning it into a nano planted in the future. Thoughts on how big I should go, and any things I should pick up along with the tank would be greatly appreciated :).

I have a 10 gallon QT tank and think it is big enough since the fish will be in there for the short term. Most LFS keep their fish in 10 gallon tanks around here. Petco and Petsmart have most of the fish they sell in 10 gallon except larger fish and feeder fish.

I know it's good practice to put fish through quarantine when you add them to an existing tank, what about when you are adding fish to a newly cycled tank? I was watching a youtube video the other day about treating fish in quarantine/hospital tank, and it seemed to imply that your fish should always go through quarantine, even if they're the first to establish a tank (I guess the new tank could function as the QT if you want to dose the entire volume if you're dosing any meds prophylactically).

Oh and to the original question, the video seems to imply that 10-15 gallons is fine for this purpose.

here's the video:
oh and here's the other one that I apparently mashed up with the first one in my head...

If you are going to quarantine fish the quarantine tank needs to replicate your main system in water parameters etc. So how ever you have set up your main tank will determine the quarantine tank. This is important as when you move your fish from quarantine they are going to get another shock to their system, that can stress the fish and expose them to infection.

I have just woken up, and it occurred to me that a plastic tote isn't the best option for a quarantine tank, as you can't look through the sides easily. One of the most important things about quarantining fish is the ability to observe them.

I have just woken up, and it occurred to me that a plastic tote isn't the best option for a quarantine tank, as you can't look through the sides easily. One of the most important things about quarantining fish is the ability to observe them.
Yea, Im going to get a real 10 gallon with a nice filter and I'll probably even plant it.

Yea, Im going to get a real 10 gallon with a nice filter and I'll probably even plant it.
How I would run a quarantine tank is have it fully planted and running all the time. When you purchase fish, do a big water change using the water from the tank that the new fish are heading for. That way the fish are not going to get another change of water when they come out of quarantine

How I would run a quarantine tank is have it fully planted and running all the time. When you purchase fish, do a big water change using the water from the tank that the new fish are heading for. That way the fish are not going to get another change of water when they come out of quarantine
That's a good idea. Is a 10 gallon too big for a desk? It would be nice to have a CO2 planted tank while there isn't fish in it.

That's a good idea. Is a 10 gallon too big for a desk? It would be nice to have a CO2 planted tank while there isn't fish in it.
I would have thought you would get a 10 gallon on a desk. There is no reason why you can't run a few fish in it all the time and then put them in the main system when you are quarantining new fish. Just think of it as an extension to your main tank. Like a separate room with with a door that can be closed from time to time. ;)

I would have thought you would get a 10 gallon on a desk. There is no reason why you can't run a few fish in it all the time and then put them in the main system when you are quarantining new fish. Just think of it as an extension to your main tank. Like a separate room with with a door that can be closed from time to time. ;)
That's actually super smart! I could get some espeis or cpd :wub:. You're a genius :)!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back