Python water changer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've got a small, unused, filter at the bottom of my tank. A garden hose, only used for water changes, fits snugly onto the output from the filter. Once connected this pushes water out of the tank and onto the garden. I then connect the end that was in the garden to a mixer tap, and the filter in the tank anchors the end of the hose in the tank while fresh water flows the other way. I do need to remember to put prime in the tank, not to switch the external filter on again straight away (make sure water dechlorinated), and keep an eye on temp of water coming in (a sensor in the tank by where the new water comes in heels 3 with this).
Hmmm. I like that. we’ve two spare pond pumps destined for a ground and above ground pond next summer or the summer after. Hmmm.
Ive bought it though so I’d better use it or Mrs Lurch May find it stashed in the shed with all my other wastes of money.

I'm curious about refill with phyton - do ya put the decloratinator straight into the tank as you fill it?

I did 25% water change while cycling my 127l tank. 75% changes are gonna be nightmare. I've very little space to get at the top of the tank :/

I'm curious about refill with phyton - do ya put the decloratinator straight into the tank as you fill it?

I did 25% water change while cycling my 127l tank. 75% changes are gonna be nightmare. I've very little space to get at the top of the tank :/

I tend to add the dechlorinater at same time as water is going into the tank using the python hose system
Dose for the same amount of water being replaced, not dosing for the whole tank water volume with Seachem Prime, but do read the instruction on the bottle of whichever brand dechlorinter you have, just to be sure.

I would recommend getting a python system or a simple DIY version using a long syphon hose and a universal pump.
You can get however long you need clear hose from LFS (clear hose/pipe is easier to see if water going through pipe or not rather than standard solid green or yellow garden hose)

For me, I got 10 meters of clear hose from a local Maidenhead Aquatic (costs a little bit but cheaper than buying a python system online), and a second hand eheim universal 600lph pump, not the fastest pump but fine for me as it gives me time to do all the other little jobs that needs doing whilst emptying / refilling tank.

First attach say 1.5 meter of hose with gravel cleaner to the tank and other end of hose to the pump (place the pump in a bucket in case of leaks), fill the 1.5m of hose first with water, and then switch pump on, ensure long section of hose is going to sink /bath and water will start going out of tank with the aid of the pump (you CAN do this without the pump but find it easier and quicker with pump).

Then for refilling, take pump off, long section of hose attached to bath mixer tap or kitchen sink, whichever works best for you, a tap or hose adaptor will be needed to attach hose to the taps, you can get a suitable one (adaptors do differ so you'll ned to find which will work best for the type of taps you have) you can get this from most hardware store or plumbing store etc
And other end of hose to the tank ensuring the water from tap is close enough to tank temp, a little cooler is fine but not warmer imho, and ensure you add dechlorinater whilst tank is filling (easy to forget!). Job done!
No carrying of umpteen buckets back and fro to bathroom / kitchen, even worse if have to go upstairs or downstairs with buckets!

So for an outlay of say £30 - 40 for everything including a second hand universal pump you'll then have a simpler version of the python hose system. Worked really well for me anyway.

A real back saver as well as a real time saver too, for me to do 2 @100 litres tanks, 2 nano tanks @20 litres each tank, usually took me about an hour and a quarter to half, all told start to finish.

I tend to add the dechlorinater at same time as water is going into the tank using the python hose system
Dose for the same amount of water being replaced, not dosing for the whole tank water volume with Seachem Prime, but do read the instruction on the bottle of whichever brand dechlorinter you have, just to be sure.

I would recommend getting a python system or a simple DIY version using a long syphon hose and a universal pump.
You can get however long you need clear hose from LFS (clear hose/pipe is easier to see if water going through pipe or not rather than standard solid green or yellow garden hose)

For me, I got 10 meters of clear hose from a local Maidenhead Aquatic (costs a little bit but cheaper than buying a python system online), and a second hand eheim universal 600lph pump, not the fastest pump but fine for me as it gives me time to do all the other little jobs that needs doing whilst emptying / refilling tank.

First attach say 1.5 meter of hose with gravel cleaner to the tank and other end of hose to the pump (place the pump in a bucket in case of leaks), fill the 1.5m of hose first with water, and then switch pump on, ensure long section of hose is going to sink /bath and water will start going out of tank with the aid of the pump (you CAN do this without the pump but find it easier and quicker with pump).

Then for refilling, take pump off, long section of hose attached to bath mixer tap or kitchen sink, whichever works best for you, a tap or hose adaptor will be needed to attach hose to the taps, you can get a suitable one (adaptors do differ so you'll ned to find which will work best for the type of taps you have) you can get this from most hardware store or plumbing store etc
And other end of hose to the tank ensuring the water from tap is close enough to tank temp, a little cooler is fine but not warmer imho, and ensure you add dechlorinater whilst tank is filling (easy to forget!). Job done!
No carrying of umpteen buckets back and fro to bathroom / kitchen, even worse if have to go upstairs or downstairs with buckets!

So for an outlay of say £30 - 40 for everything including a second hand universal pump you'll then have a simpler version of the python hose system. Worked really well for me anyway.

A real back saver as well as a real time saver too, for me to do 2 @100 litres tanks, 2 nano tanks @20 litres each tank, usually took me about an hour and a quarter to half, all told start to finish.

I might put the phyton on my Xmas wish list. The tank lid is probably eye level for so lifting a full bucket up to pour in isn't great. Or the diy system too. Could empty it outside into a water butt and use the collected water for plants of just dump it on driveway. I'll look into it more.

I might put the phyton on my Xmas wish list. The tank lid is probably eye level for so lifting a full bucket up to pour in isn't great. Or the diy system too. Could empty it outside into a water butt and use the collected water for plants of just dump it on driveway. I'll look into it more.

Old tank water is excellent for gardens, full of nutrients and nitrate which plants like, in fact put some old tank water into potted plants as well, these flowers will love it.

Has anyone seen these rolling water butts caravaners use. Usually 50 litres. Handle clips on and off.
I imagine they would be useful, the come with submersible pumps to supply the caravan, fill, treat, screw on lid, roll into place, pump water into tank........
50L-Water-Hog-1.jpg

Old tank water is excellent for gardens, full of nutrients and nitrate which plants like, in fact put some old tank water into potted plants as well, these flowers will love it.
Yeah I've been using it on plants outside, both ground and potted plants :)

I have a python with the 50 feet of hose, 25 feet wasn't quite enough for the distance I needed. The quality is really good and it makes siphoning easier. If you don't mess around you might be able to make it work with a 10gal/38L or larger. You just need to keep an eye on water level for smaller tanks.

Where it really shines is refilling tanks. It makes the job so much easier. I have several tanks that are on racks and I can't get a bucket under the shelf and have to use a pitcher to fill and that takes forever. Just throw some de-chlorinator in the water and it fills up effortlessly. I do agree with others that any sizable tank it is almost required. There is a hook attachment you can purchase that drapes it over the rim of your tank so that the hose doesn't fly out of your tank and soak your room when you change from siphon to fill.

Buy one! Everybody! Awwwwwh man these make the whole thing easier.
Got the brass adaptor from Wolseley plumbers merchants For £5.46 inc vat. It fits the blue diy python tap end thingy to our mixer tap as the one provided by the feller on eBay didn’t work. So I’ll be using the blue diy one for filling from the mixer and the proper python green one for emptying from the outside tap which will feed the waste and clean water mixture into a water butt I’m gonna shop for later tonight on tinternet.
Whole process wasn’t as fast as I expected but I’m putting that down to being the first time. It was though a lot easier. I was worried the “pull” wouldn’t be enough but over 15 metres it was easily enough. I’ll put a bit of PTFE tape on the threaded joints for next time as there was a bit of spraying leakage at the mixer tap....solved by slipping a carrier bag over the tap and python attachment which directed spray down into sink (little construction industry tip for you there).
£87 for a genuine one or £40ish for a diy? Either way it’s a bargain. Well done Mr and Mrs Python your offsprings idea is a good un.

I have a python with the 50 feet of hose, 25 feet wasn't quite enough for the distance I needed. The quality is really good and it makes siphoning easier. If you don't mess around you might be able to make it work with a 10gal/38L or larger. You just need to keep an eye on water level for smaller tanks.

Where it really shines is refilling tanks. It makes the job so much easier. I have several tanks that are on racks and I can't get a bucket under the shelf and have to use a pitcher to fill and that takes forever. Just throw some de-chlorinator in the water and it fills up effortlessly. I do agree with others that any sizable tank it is almost required. There is a hook attachment you can purchase that drapes it over the rim of your tank so that the hose doesn't fly out of your tank and soak your room when you change from siphon to fill.
Cheers. I thought I’d imagined that attachment while running backwards and forwards today. I ended up clamping it with two butterfly clamps I use at work. That U shaped attachment looks a lot like a washing machine attachment I’ve got somewhere In the shed. I’ll try that before ordering a genuine one.

Last edited:
My recommendation is a pond pump similar to this

81F-Z6bQBAL._SL1500_.jpg

It removes 225L in 8 minutes and returns the water in the same amount of time. Cutting a 50% water change on my 450L into an under 20 minute job where as before it's be a very long and accidentally spillage mission.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back