Python No Spill Clean And Fill

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thats what I'm saying... i get the temp right before changing any water... it uses a bit more hot water but i have a huge hot water heater.... if your worried about sediment harming your water, you can use the drain valve to blow most of it out, also most water conditioners detoxify heavy metals anyhow...... then you don't have to run or risk the thing blowing apart and soaking your house.... however everyones water pressure is different so it depends on your ariea.....

So let me get this straight - you've been using hot tap water to get the temperature to match the tank temp??? I was uncomfortable with that and have just been using the cold - resulting in shocked and sick fish.

You haven't any problems with using your hot water??? This would help with buckets - pls let me know if anyone else is using hot water and their results - my poor livebearers would appreciate it.

tank water is still relativly cold compaired to how warm the hot water comes out of the tap.
so if you think about how much hot water you haveto use compaired to cold youll see that you barely use water from your water heater..... so if there is any sedament or hevy metals, there verry diluted and are more or less nutralized by your conditioner....

yes i have been doing this for a while now and have had a fue large batches of guppie fry, amongst all my other fish, respond just fine to this.... i supose if your water is verry hard doing this wold make it a bit harder..... but if your family is like mine all the hot water is used dayly, there fore reduceing sedament in another way....

you realy have to use your better judjement and know your watter before you just do this....... also it dosnt hurt to purge your waterheater for a fue seconds and test/check how clear it is....

I got my no spill python (UK) 25 foot + 20 foot extention a few weeks ago. and all i can say is brilliant, brilliant brilliant.

My tank is 55G and a 20- 25% water change is 60 - 80 Ltrs. I use to drain into 20 Ltr bucket 4 times.

4 times empty outside, 4 times fill up from the cold/hot tap to get warm water. 4 times lug it up high to drain back to the tank.

Took ages.

Now whack the python in, turn it on at tap, turn the valve and drain it in minutes. Then reverse the drain and fill back up with water straight from the coldwater tap.

Now as someone said this could cause a prob.

The first time i did this i pooed myself when i saw two platies and a guppy go weird. they hit the dirt and stayed there. Temp dropped nearly 10 degrees. So we paniced emptied the tank water in 2ltr jugs a good few goes and added hot water straight away to replace this and bring the temp up. All the fish recovered in minutes no probs. So lesson learnt (i did a big water change that time 80 - 100 ltrs way to much) i now do between 60 - 80 max. Add a couple of hot kettle loads carefully and still use the python. No probs a couple of degree drops and all is happy.

For under £30, the easy and no spills makes this a fantastic product. I wouldnt be without it. :flex:

Suppose the other ption is to buy a 'mixer' tap, get the temperature right, then put the python into the tank......

But a mixer tap will cost more than the Python !! ;)

Will see how it goes first time round this weekend.... if it's arrived when I get home from work !!! :flex:

You guys will get it down.....test the aquarium water with your finger. Adjust the tap to match.....as you run the water from the Python in, alternate the finger between the water in the aquarium on the opposite side and the water coming out of the Python. Adjust accordingly. You'd be surprised how close you get to within one degree difference. SH

OK - I've heard enough.......I've just ordered 1.

Hope you guys are right about how good this !

BTW - I also ordered a 120 UK Gal tank to use it on :whistle:

It is BRILLIANT! But the Python was the least of my worries - the mixer tap cost £70 and the plumber to fix it in cost another £40. But the fishies get warm water that matches their tank temp. Gotta do what's right for the fishies!! They all love water changes, they play in the flow and are really active, colourful and happy afterwards. And the cats love it too cos they chase the bubbles swooshing through the clear Python hose and really can't work out why they can't catch them... :p

(PS 120 Gallon?!?! :drool: me want one.....)

Got it - tried it - love it !!!

This is the best £30 I've spent in ages.

Thanks again to all of you who convinced me to part with some money.

Have just tried www.Animalwarehouse.co.uk and the address does'nt work, Any idea where I can buy a Python from in the UK?

Way to go DXG....we wouldn't lie to you. lol. No more buckets. Have fun. SH

steelhealr said:
You guys will get it down.....test the aquarium water with your finger. Adjust the tap to match.....as you run the water from the Python in, alternate the finger between the water in the aquarium on the opposite side and the water coming out of the Python. Adjust accordingly. You'd be surprised how close you get to within one degree difference. SH
I could be mistaken, but it seems to me in the UK most (if not all) taps have a seperate spout for hot water and cold water, hence why they are mentioning the additional costs of an expensive "mixer tap." I believe their hot water systems are a bit different from ours here in North America. I've always used a combo of hot and cold straight from the tap to match temps with no ill effects. I'm looking to run out and grab a python today (6 tanks to do water changes on every week), but after reading this thread I'm going to have a look at home depot for the metal connector so I don't have the problem with too high of a water pressure.

Colin

I bought a cheap underwater digital thermometer when I got the python, makes it pretty easy to get the temps within a degree or two of the tank water. I'm sure that many people can get it close enough by checking temps with their fingers, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that.

I just picked up a Python 25' set 3 hours after my last post there. It's definately worth the $50 CAD for what it's going to save me in water changes. To do water changes on my 6 tanks (32G, 29G, 3x 10G, 2.5G) before the Python it would take me 10 trips with a 3G jug to empty and another 10 trips (and awkward lifts to utilize gravity for syphon into the tank) to refill the tanks. The one I bought with a correction notice inside the package saying they had replaced the cheap plastic tap adapter with a heavy duty brass adapter to attach to the sink. The only thing that worries me is when refilling the tanks, I hit the shutoff valve and it causes a sudden buildup in water pressure and the python starts to spray from the bottom (as if emptiying tanks). I think the fact that it DOES spray from the bottom is probably better than having the pressure build with no where to go, but it still has me cautious.

Colin

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back