Python Cleaning ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sugarcookie

Reaction score
:/ Sorry for all the DUM questions I ask, but......

I just recived the cleaning system called the Python, so when putting water back in the tank from tap, how do I measure the Prime de-chol (which I have not used before), usual the de-chol tells you to put like 1 tsp per 10 gallon, so....how would I know the amount of water that came out to put the right amount of Prime back in? Also, how do I put the de-chol in since I'm not using the OLD bucket to mix it in.

I also wanted to thank everybody for answering all my other questions I have had.

Again Thanks, :flowers:
Sugarcookie

You can just estimate. I've never measured dechlorinator and I use a python too. I just squirt a little in as soon as the water starts running and then some more when it's finished filling. It is virtually impossible to overdose dechlorinator so to me it's a lot easier to just squirt than to measure.

You can just estimate. I've never measured dechlorinator and I use a python too. I just squirt a little in as soon as the water starts running and then some more when it's finished filling. It is virtually impossible to overdose dechlorinator so to me it's a lot easier to just squirt than to measure.

Same here, I just sort of guesstimate the amount of water I took out, for instance if I do a 50% water change on my 75gal that would be ~38gal, so I add the amount of dechlor for that. In reality with the water displacement by the substrate and decor it's less than that, but too much dechlor is better than too little. :good:

There are some general guidelines on the side of the Prime bottle. From memory it says 5ml of Prime per 200 litres of water. So you've just got to break the calculator out and work it out for yourself.

For instance it would be 1ml of Prime for 40 litres of water as 5ml divided by 5 is 1ml and 200 litres divided by 5 is 40 litres. Also 1ml of Prime is represented by reaching one ring high in the cap from the Prime bottle - if you have no other way of measuring such a small amount.

Anyway, like rdd1952 said, it is hard to overdose on that stuff, so you don't need to be NASA accurate!

1. how would I know the amount of water that came out to put the right amount of Prime back in?

2.how do I put the de-cholr in since I'm not using the OLD bucket to mix it in.

1. If you know how much water you want to change weekly or whatever, (15 gallons for example) and you have a five gallon bucket, remove three buckets of water. Then take a marker and put a small mark on the corner of the tank at the water level. Then say goodbye to the bucket and you can drain your tank to the marked level every time.
I use a python and have all 5 of my tanks marked this way, it makes it a lot easier.

2. Just put it in the tank. i add mine next to the python tube, it will mix in. one cupful (sorry capful) of prime is 5ml and treats 50 gallons. and each thread ring inside the cap is 1ml and treats 10 gallons. So if you change 15-20 gallons then add 2ml or two thread rings on the cap. it does not have to be exact.

. one cupful of prime is 5ml and treats 50 gallons. and each thread ring inside the cap is 1ml and treats 10 gallons
I'm sure this is a typo and should be capful.

Marking the tank works great. Even though I have a python, I still only use it to fill the tank is it just wastes too much water when removing water. I still use my buckets to remove water.

Yeah..i meant capful my bad. spell check didn't catch that, but it wont catch a wrong word, and i guess my proof reading didn't work either.

My python has a garden hose quick disconnect on the faucet end so after i get the suction going i can unhook it, kink the hose and put it in the bathtub. that way the water is not running while the tank is being drained.

Never thought of doing it that way but I maybe could. I just doubt it would have enough suction (or fall) to work for me.

It depends on what drain you would use and if its lower than the tank. When i do my main tank i put the hose in the bathtub. When i do my tanks downstairs i put the hose next to the sump pump hole so the water drains into that.

In both cases the drain is lower than the tanks so the fall is sufficient to gravel vac and drain the tank.

As said before my tanks are marked where i want them drained to, when they get close to the mark i turn on the faucet, check the temp, then hook the hose back up and reverse the flow. Works like a charm.

Mine would be lower than the tank but only slightly. The water would have to flow 50' from a roughly 4' drop (top of tank) to the tub and back up 1.5' (to get over the edge of the tub). I just don't think it would do it but I will probably try next time.

Mine would be lower than the tank but only slightly. The water would have to flow 50' from a roughly 4' drop (top of tank) to the tub and back up 1.5' (to get over the edge of the tub). I just don't think it would do it but I will probably try next time.

Actually it should work fine. I hook mine up to my kitchen sink for water changes, so the hose falls down from the tank, across the room (I have a 25ft hose), and up over 2ft to the sink. If I'm not in a hurry when doing wc's (rarely ever), after the water has started draining, I shut the faucet off so not to waste water. It takes longer for the tank to drain, but it works.

I've thought of a way you can work out how much declorinator you need... Although its not bad for the fish adding more than you need it can be bad on the wallet :lol:

Next time you change the water put the outlet pipe of the python into a bucket (probably best to put the bucket in the sink to avoid spillage) then time how long it takes to fill 1 bucket. You also need too record the total time you spend changing the water and divide the total time by the time for 1 bucket. This will tell you how many buckets you would of used and can work out the amount of declorinator you need from there.

This will still probably be more than you need as you'll be taking some of the new water out with the old by using a python but can give you a rough idea.

I tried the method of kinking the hose and sticking it in the tub. Works like a charm!!! Even with a 50' hose. A little slow and not as much suction as using the faucet but still better than buckets and very little wasted water.

I have done many water changes with no dechlorinator at all, but I still usually use some type of water conditioner. If you don't live in an area where they chlorinate the crap out of your municipal water it doesnt seem to hurt.
I did a water change and found out I had run out of dechlorinator. I filled the tank up and waited for armegeddon. nothing happened. I used chem strips to check my tap water and found that it had only trace amounts of chlorine, so little it would only register on the most sensitive of kits.

I am just shocked that I can just kink the hose and then set it in the bathtub - unkink it and have it still have water pressure. On the other how I guess that's how a siphon's supposed to work - thinking of the old days of taking gasoline out of the car to put in the lawn mower and using my mouth to start the suction - yuck - not a good idea.

Currently I've got the phython adaptor connected to a sink in a bathroom without a tub or shower, but since I've got 50 feet of hose to play with, I can just connect it to the main bath. Will give it a try because then I can quit watching to see if my sink is going to overflow (I have to turn up the bathroom sink to full blast/both nozzles to even create enough suction - so it tends to fill the sink faster than the sink can empty.

Very cool I REALLY hope this works.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back