Pygmy Cory

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So my LFS is have a 40% off sale tomorrow and I am jumping to get more fish.

I went to get a fish that would start to control my shrimp population in a 10gl. I wanted a scarlet badis but they didn't have them. So I asked the girl who is somewhat knowledgeable. Among other things (some of which I know wouldn't work) she suggested getting a school of pygmy corys which I really like. Would that work? How many could I get in a 10gl tank? I would like to get as many as possible so I can really get their natural behavior.

They do eat baby shrimp but i'm not sure if they will eat the adult shrimp unless there smaller than them and they need to be in groups 6 or more for natural behavior but 4 is the minimum.

You could have 8-10 I would think in a 10G.
They'll most likely only eat the shrimp babies, not the adult shrimp (depending on the type of shrimp)

A Pygmy Cory isn't going to be able to eat an adult shrimp, but yes it will be able to eat baby shrimp, but from what I've seen I'm not sure if they'd be aggressive enough to eat baby shrimp.

Just got back from the LFS for 40% off sale and got 1 PJ cardinal and 2 yellowtail damsels for the SW tank and 6 pygmy corys for the 10gl shrimp tank. All for 22$. They miss rang the cory's as 1 cory and the damsels as 1 damsel. A bit of an ethical dilemma. Do I say yippee or do I drive another 20 minutes back there and pay for the fish I asked for? I didn't notice until it donned on me that I should have paid more than 22$ for 9 fish and looked at the receipt when I got home.

Pygmys won't eat the shrimp, baby shrimp are extremely good at hiding & are very fast, my pygmys ignore them

Wished they would eat some of my (baby)shrimp. They don't !!! Even the larger species don't by the way !!!

Most reactions

Back